Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to tell if a ewe is pregnant  (Read 9974 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
how to tell if a ewe is pregnant
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »
An earlier thread has been all about our ewe that is now nearly 2 weeks overdue! The vet has been to give her an injection to induce her, but the vet seemed less knowledable about sheep than I would have liked! The induction is 48 hours old and seems to have done pretty much nothing at all. So that brings me to wonder is she is actually pregnant! She is huge, both width and a tummy underhang, but not overweight when you feel her spine. She hasn't bagged up, her rear end isn't pink / red and she seems well. Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant by feeling her somehow? Thanks

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: how to tell if a ewe is pregnant
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »
I'm assuming that the vet induced her without confirming she was pregnant? you can use your fist to feel for a lamb but other signs would be the shape of her body particularly when lying down does she have a distinctive pregnant bulge at either side? ? It may be a bit late for this if she is short on womb space and about to lamb?

Has she lambed before? Does she usually have an udder at this stage?

Did she scan as pregnant? Or didn't you scan?

The drug used to induce usually acts within 12 to 24 hours but the manufactures guidance says up to 72 hours.  Can you phone the practice and ask another vet for their opinion?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:24 pm »
If you stand behind the ewe, and put your arms round her belly just in front to where the udder is (or should be), then link your hands  and bump your arms upwards you should be able to feel the lams kicking/moving against you. Difficult to explain. Looks a bit like sumo wrestling...

However if she was with the tup for a limited time, and is now 2 weeks overdue from her last possible due date I would think she is not in lamb (if there is no udder either). Some girls are just too good at putting down reserves... and she may have aborted/reabsorbed early on, so nothing for you to see.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:37 pm »
What drug was used and how much. I use Dexafort (feel Dexadreson less reliable unless very close to lambing anyway) and then find everything lambs between 24-48 hrs (induced a triplet ewe that lambed yesterday 36 hrs). Also how much, a relatively large dose is required to induce sheep.
Try to knock a lamb if you can't feel anything hard in her tummy then she is not pregnant or not full term at least. (sorry as per Anke)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:47:08 pm »
Are you sure about your dates? If you sponged them on the 27th Sept with the aim to put the ram in 2 weeks later (the 11th October) then left him in for one week, they would have been due on the 7th to 14th so maybe only be 4 days overdue?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:14 pm »
One year ours were all 9 days overdue (very wet Winter).

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »
If you stand behind the ewe, and put your arms round her belly just in front to where the udder is (or should be), then link your hands  and bump your arms upwards you should be able to feel the lams kicking/moving against you. Difficult to explain. Looks a bit like sumo wrestling...

However if she was with the tup for a limited time, and is now 2 weeks overdue from her last possible due date I would think she is not in lamb (if there is no udder either). Some girls are just too good at putting down reserves... and she may have aborted/reabsorbed early on, so nothing for you to see.

Thanks for that information - ewe sumo wrestled successfully with nothing felt so she is out in the field with the others and skipping fatly!!  Only worry was just how much she enjoyed my wife doing it to her!! I am going with the not pregnant option till proved wrong.  Many thanks.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »
Oh god, maybe none of mine are pregnant! Panicking now! Don't know how they can't be, they are massive. At least I have another potential two cycles of 17 days to worry through!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS