Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood working  (Read 4704 times)

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
wood working
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »
I just sawed up a fair bit of poplar with not really anything specific in mind for its use, it's just handy to have around when needed. 

Greetings
Don wagstaff
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:09:16 pm by Donald »

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
Re: wood working
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:37 pm »
Hi Don, just wondering what kind of things poplar is good for?

We had to fell a 20m tree last year as it had died and still have it lying around.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:17:52 pm »
Hello,
There is a tradition of using poplar lumber. Here where I'm living farmers used it for flooring in hay lofts in their barns. Poplar is particularly wear resistant because of its fibrous composition, in a similar way wool is suitable for weaving. Also it was used as wagon bottoms. On an industrial scale, I think particularly in Belgium, it was also used for flooring in train cars. In France, timbers, either sawn or hewn, were used for building horse stalls because it is a relatively chemically neutral wood so doesn't react with fumes from the piss. Probably where you are living it has its own traditional uses - shingles is another one I've heard of.

So, these are some of the particular uses. But it was also used more generally in roof construction for houses, carpentry work and even furniture. Some of the things I've used it for are similar, flooring in the barn, siding also on the barn, I've planked walls with it in our house, made mouldings. I'm a furniture maker and I use it to make full scale models of furniture pieces and also as veneerer core for furniture components.

I wouldn't use it for everything ,for example, a floor in my house. And outside it should be, let's say, treated.

If you ever cut another one, as is always the case with lumber, it should be milled as soon after felling as possible. I've dealt with this more if you would like to click on that link below.

Greetings

Don Wagstaff

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:36 pm »
Don, I am in Scotland and am trying for planning on a  small house plot.  There are three large beech trees which have to come down - not particularly straight ones but not horrendously bent, with a fairly high canopy.  Would they be of any use other than firewood as that is what I have been told by a local tree surgeon.  I did wonder about putting them on freecycle. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:52 pm »
Hello,
I rely on burning wood in the winter to keep warm, so have nothing against selectively cutting trees for this purpose. That said it is rarely the first use that comes to mind. It might be that sections of the tree trunks could be of worth to one or the other woodworker living near you and the twigs and branches cut up for firewood. Or if you yourself can foresee ever being in need of hardwood limber - a floor, a piece of furniture, for example - having someone with a mobile sawmill there come saw it up would definitely be a smart move.

Alternatively, somebody at this address may well be interested:  http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/index.php

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:36 pm »
There's none in Scotland
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:45:23 pm »
beech is good to make wooden kitchen item as long it hasn't any got any fungus in it. When settler when to americas they uses poplar for the same use apparently

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:54:06 pm »
Hello, Ok, doganjo,

I just tracked down one guy from the bodger web site from Dunfries. Is that in your neighborhood?

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS