Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving weaners from breeder to my paddock  (Read 3073 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Moving weaners from breeder to my paddock
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:18 am »
I am supposed to be collecting a few 10 week weaners from a breeder in about 8 weeks time. I have a nice transport crate all sorted out and am in the process of planning the piggie ark and fencing :) Need to sort out my CPH in the next few days as well.

All good so far !

However I may have stumbled across a flaw. The breeder is 50km as the crow flies from my house but by road it is nearer to 68km along a few country roads. I understand this might be an issue as regulations are up to 65km ? I'm in Scotland but I don't think the regs are different to rUK.

Can anyone enlighten me as to if I will need to get further licence to move them or if I can stop along the way (I have a friend about half way between breeder and myself who can keep them overnight).

Thanks for the help....I will worry about moving them to the abattoir at a later date !

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Moving weaners from breeder to my paddock
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:42 am »
Okay have done a bit more reading and it seems this should be okay as I am a hobbyist and non-commerical. If not then the alternative is to bring an adult for each animal transported :)

If someone has advice to the contrary then I would be grateful to hear it.

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Alves, near Elgin, Moray, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:47 pm »
I'm also new to pigs, and in Scotland (Moray). As I understand it, in Scotland, as long as you have your CPH number and a movement form is completed (by the breeder who you get the wearers from) all is good. If you subsequently move them from your property you will need to fill in the appropriate movement form and the pigs will need to be either tagged or slap marked. Would be interested to hear if you hear differently. :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:39 pm »
10wk old weaners are quite big so i hope your crate is large enough :innocent:
If not dont despair put a waterproof sheet inthe back of your car and they'll travel ok that short distance no problem loose in the back
Hth
Mandy  :pig:
Ps piglets poo a lot in transit think its nerves lol  ;D

See www.gospbc.co.uk   pig management tag x

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:57 pm »
They also, on occasion, vomit.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »
They also, on occasion, vomit.

yep- can confirm that. we brought 2 Saddleback weaners home yesterday in a large dog crate in the back of our 4 X 4. Bit travel sick !!!!!!!!!!!! :pig:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »
Ooohh! That doesn't sound nice. We put two or three weaners in a dog crate in the back of a hatchback and (so far)no vomiting. But the poo can be pretty smelly........... :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS