Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plum Bread  (Read 5890 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Plum Bread
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:28:44 am »
I have been asked Wots Plum Bread like.Well here is two different recipes a deluxe? one and a cheap one.NO they are not really anything to do with plums like Victoria's or the Greengages so
 1lb strong white bread flour (use whole meal if you like)
 4 oz currants
 2 oz sultanas
 2 oz raisins
 2 oz candid peel (mixed is best)
 8 oz chopped up prunes
 4 fl/oz warm milk
 4 oz melted butter
 4 Tbl/spn; sugar
 2 sachets easy dried yeast ( Allinsons bread yeast)
 2 eggs lightly beaten
 1 tspn ground cinnamon
 1 t/spn ground all spice
 1 good pinch of salt
 Method
Mix milk,sugar,butter,yeast and spices well together.Mix the flour and salt make a well and pour in the liquid mix beating to form a nice soft pliable dough.Turn out onto a floured surface and kneed until its nice and elastic.Place it in a greased bowl and cover allow to stand in a warm place until it has doubled in size,Knock it back and add the dried fruit make sure its evenly distributed throughout Cut the dough in half making 2 equal bits Place into 2 1lb loaf tins and cover and allow to rise again when double the size Place in a preheated oven 375F or Gas 5 on a preheated baking sheet(this is important) and bake 40/50 minutes Remove the loaves from the tins and place on the hot baking sheet return to the oven 5 - 10 minutes or until when the bottom is tapped they sound hollow Let them cool on a rack.

A different version of plum bread
 2lbs mixed dried fruit
 2 cups brown sugar
 2 cups cold tea
 4 cups Self Raisin Flour
 3 eggs
Soak the dried fruit and brown sugar in a basin overnight with the tea.Next day mix in the 4 cups of flour and the beaten eggs.Put the mix into 2 floured and greased loaf tins Bake at Gas 2 or 300f for 2hrs or so Leave to cool in the tins Try them with butter  :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Plum Bread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »
This is similar to Georges recipe apart from its based on soda bread.

10oz plain flour

1 level teaspoon salt

1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

4 rounded teaspoons sugar

4 oz currants

2 oz sultanas

2 oz raisins

2 oz candid peel (optional)

8 oz chopped up prunes (can be exchanged for candied cherries)

2 teaspoons all spice

1 large egg

Buttermilk to bring it to a bread type consistancy. buttermilk can be made by adding 2 teaspoons of lemon jiuce to the milk so it curdles.

Butter or margarine for greasing the tin

Preparation method
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6 and grease a 1kg (2 lb) loaf tin and set aside.
2. Pour flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and raisins into a bowl and mix.
3. Pour the buttermilk into the flour mixture and mix to a soft consistancy. Turn mixture into prepared tin and flatten the top of mixture.
4. Bake for 40 -45 minutes, covering for the last 20 if the top is getting too brown.
5. Remove from tin, wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool before serving.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »
I will try this mid week instead of our usual one Jackie it sounds nice.We alternate with plum bread and cheese with a rich fruit cake.I dont do sweet pastry other than mincepies.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:18 am »
So, why are they called plum bread ?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:00 pm »
Hello sagehen The word plum in this case means dried fruit.A long time ago this would be plums (prunes to you and I) Then Dried grapes (currants raisins and sultanas came along and these were used instead hence Plum Bread.Well thats what Grannie Hammond told me years and years ago George :farmer:

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »
Ack! Prunes yuk  :P

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »
Tibetan Cow sagehen Tibetan Cow  ;D ;D ;D :farmer:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
Yaks do look just like the Highland coohs, but black. Nicest looking cows  ;D
Prunes don't have to be yuk when you hide them in lots of other dried fruit - do you notice them in a Christmas pudding??
I've made plum brioches, with real fresh plums just inside the brioche bun. You can use apricots instead. Soaked dried ones must be good, soaked in some kind of spirit? Making up recipes on the go, lol  :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:02:19 am »
Hey up Northfield hev yer been lukein ower me shoder ;D You are so right When I do Xmas Pud I use a pound of Raisins currants sultanas prunes and apricots in a basin and pour a cup full of brandy o'er em and leave em ower night.If I have any dried fruit salad left I buy a bag now and then to use as snack watching telly and there is dried pear apple peach all sorts I put that in as well and increase the brandy a bit (shhhshh a lot)I also do the same for Christmas Cake.Mrs Yarn may tell you if its done properly if you ask her. ;D :farmer: :yum:

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
Don't like Christmas pudding  ;D I can tolerate Christmas cake but only just. I like raisins, sultanas and currants but no peel for me, ta! And prunes, still yak  :P

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 12:54:18 pm »
 ;D ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »
Ooh sounds yumm George. Do you think it'd work in a bread maker?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »
Helen My Panasonic SD252 only seems to like bread as loaves of other baking isn't so good at all but common or garden white or brown works very good ;D ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS