Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very skinny ewe  (Read 2132 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
very skinny ewe
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »
Hi a few weeks back along i posted about some sheep i got that were mistreated well two have put on weight one really thin she is having ewe nuts hay sugar beet is there anything else that might help her put some weight on ? an she has been wormed.thanx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: very skinny ewe
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:58:09 am »
If she had a heavy worm burden as a lamb, and also maybe fluke, she may never grow normal and put on weight, as her digestive system/guts are too damaged. Not much you can do, and I wouldn't breed from her.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:50 am »
It takes a long time to increase bcs in a healthy ewe (was it 6 weeks for 1/2 a bcs?) so may be nothing to worry over

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:13:47 am »
How is her poo? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
What age is she?

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:08:05 pm »
She did have very loose poop but now back to normal she has been wormed again she is around18 mths old !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS