Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a new pig person!  (Read 4728 times)

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Alves, near Elgin, Moray, Scotland
Hello from a new pig person!
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »
Hi to you all

Just a quick line to say hello. I've just ordered three Gloucester Old Spot x Duroc x Berkshire wearers and am excitedly awaiting their arrival in about three weeks. We live on about 5 acres in N.E Scotland, just near Elgin. Our land is largely mixed woodland which gets pretty jungly each summer, so this year we have finally taken the plunge (having often talked about it) of getting in some pigs to do their bit and help keep the woods clear.

I'm busy installing a three cable electric fence system to keep them in and divide up the woods into smaller areas. I have a very large old plastic oil tank sitting at home doing nothing, so that is going to have a door cut in it to make an arc. The pigs should be at home. They're coming down from Thurso, so they are right at the top of Scotland, hopefully they will enjoy life in Morayshire! - before the freezer !!

This forum is so good, have found so much useful information.

Cheers for now, Henry.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: Hello from a new pig person!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:38:13 pm »
Hello Henry  :wave:

I'm just over 18 months into being a pig person so much still very new to me too. I started with three like you and have had several lots since. Currently two Tamworths about to go off and 6 weeks ago had my first litter of piglets (Glos Old Spots) which has been wonderful and scary in equal measure. I have got lots of help on here from experienced pig people - by reading and asking. And I too have an old oil tank to clean and convert this summer to add to my arc collection!
Have fun - it's a proper adventure.
Martha
 :pig: :pig: :pig: 

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Martha - I've actually converted my oil tank into a piggy des-res this afternoon. Really easy, I drilled holes at each corner of the door and used an electric jig saw to cut out the door. An old mop, nearly a full bottle of Fairy liquid and lots of water and it's now clean and ready for its new occupants. It still smells of oil a bit, but I guess that will soon be replaced by another smell!!

Good luck with the piglets, I guess they must be ready to wean soon, hope that goes well and isn't too traumatic!

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:39:08 pm »
Sounds great! They tend keep their arcs / houses pretty clean and designate a part of their patch to go to the toilet in - unless the house is really big and then they use spare space as en suite! That can be solved by having a whole bale of straw in there to block off some of the space until they grow a bit. Yes I will be weaning mum from little ones in a couple of weeks. Actually they're not so little now - growing like mad and chomping my boots. But great fun.

Let us know how you get on - sounds like they've got a great set up to be part of.  :excited:
Martha

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
 :wave: hello from NW Sutherland

let me guess......Gary Imlach's weaners?

we are 'between' pigs at the moment, but I do like them until they get to a certain size then not so much..lol  welcome to the forum and good luck
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »
Yes, they're coming from Gary! Really looking forward to their arrival.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »
Hello!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
Hello I am 1 month into having pigs and really enjoying them. They are clearing my new veg patch and amazed at the speed they root the ground up. Also looking forward to all that lovely home grown meat  :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »
 :wave: This is such a friendly forum, thanks so much for all your welcomes, pig people seem very friendly!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:46 am »
 :wave: Welcome from Shropshire.  :goat: :goat:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
And from North Lincolnshire  :sheep:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:53 am »
Hi from Caithness, had Mangalitzas, great pigs, great taste too  :pig: Enjoy!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:08 pm »
Hello from Devon :wave: Pigs are great fun (especially when you're searching the neighbourhood for them in the dark ;D)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:55 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 06:59:43 am »
Hi Henry

I assume it was you I met at the pig seminar in Nairn last night.  It is nice to be able to put a face to a name.

I hope you enjoy the pigs.

Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS