Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update on December its been a while  (Read 1707 times)

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
Update on December its been a while
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
Hi all its been a while since I was here last and I hope i have put this in the right place. Right where do I start its been busy busy busy since I last wrote back in December when I introduce myself the main thing that’s happened is the planning hat we asked for (a tractor shed, workshop, feed store, rearing shed, hay barn, and Polly tunnel), well we though in for a penny in for a pound, all went through with no problems I was amazed that there was no size reduction or re positioning, we are now waiting for the ground to dry out a bit before we start, a field entrance gets quite muddy when it’s been churned up. So the building work is on the back burner.
We started with 9 mangy hens back in October (we got caught really £8 each, ouch, we felt sorry for them) they weren’t kept in ideal conditions, that’s enough said about that, think positive there great now. Then we bought a dozen Light Sussex from a Cambridge breeder, wow what a difference, the first 9 looked like street urchins all beat up and having a go at anything that came in there area, and the dozen looked straight out of finishing school they didn’t mix for about a month, since the dozen we have added a few more Light Sussex making a total of 39 hens. They have progressed throughout the winter and the laying has increased each week and today we collected 25 eggs. We are selling all but the ones we eat in the village and the hens basically are paying for their food with a bit over.
We pickup an old David Brown tractor (eBay) which has helped get our trailer in and out of the field when we go off to collect our eBay finds, eBay has taken us to Anglesey for a loader , Hull a trailer, Ipswich a shed, and many more places that I have forgotten we know the M5 like the back of our hand, it’s been a great way of seeing England and smiling about our treasure on the return journeys, you’ve probably seen us admiring our load in the motorway services, cup of coffee in hand.
The weather down here hasn’t been as bad as up North but it wouldn’t have mattered as we have spent every day and most of the evening in our garage beside our house repairing or making things we need in order of priority having first build a bigger chicken house, then a shelter as the weather was getting worse, we also pickup and old Ifor Williams truck top so that was the basis of our pig ark added sides back and front with a 40mm thick floor a couple of skids it looks good and for less than 20 quid. Not to mention fixing the rotovator cleaning a Fergie plough oh and in amongst that there was Christmas with the family over, we did take a day off  for that, still have to feed the hens though.
2 days ago we finished repairing or restoring an early 60s rice livestock trailer pickup on eBay it was quite a talking piece when we collected our 4 piglets today. Oh yes as of today we are the proud owner of 4 Gloucester Old spot pigs I think there are 2 boys and 2 girls, they are digging over our future vegetable plot straight out of the trailer digging instantly, we collected from a breeder in North Somerset early start this morning and as the trough wasn’t finished until 8am over coffee in one hand welding stick in the other we decided to have an evening off that how I have had time to write this do my hair and relax, TV did someone say, what’s that, since Sept buying the land our life has changed and its great, it the first year in seventeen years we have not yet book our holidays and as yet we don’t want one we dream of sitting in our field in the summer.
That’s it for now I’m off for a tottyand a night off.
Cheers to you all. Till next time.
PS excuse if my elocutions’ note perfec

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Update on December its been a while
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:16:24 am »
You make me feel so guilty as its so cold have not done much apart from the animals.  Still inspiration from you and a bit of sun and Im out to make some new paddocks.  Look forward to hearing your next news.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:48 pm »
Wow, you HAVE been busy!

sandy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:39 am »
Enjoyed that smallacre, we never have holidays anymore but we are happy and feel like we are on holiday mo st the time, we only have a few chickens but our B&B keeps us busy..look forward to the next update.
P.S my spelling is attrosiouse ;) ;)

misterpeter

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Farnham, Surrey (at the moment!)
    • ClassicBikeNut
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
Fantastic!

Gives me a taste of what I have coming in the Ukraine, but without eBay there (and maybe not internet, except over the phonecard...) it will be the bush-drum or smoke-signals to look through for 'goodies'!

Great read and will be keeping my finger on YOUR pulse, that's for keeps!! :)

Peter
He who goes within himself, should not be surprised if he meets no-one! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS