Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 kune kune weaners - FREE. Goole/Selby area.  (Read 3470 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
2 kune kune weaners - FREE. Goole/Selby area.
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:18:11 am »
Yesterday I was offered 2 uncastrated kune kune pigs. I was feeding my cattle when this van stopped and the driver asked me if  I was interested in giving a home to these 2 pigs.  Apparently he bought them a couple of weeks ago, as pets, but now he was working away and - I didn't quite get the rest but think maybe his wife didn't want to look after them.
My reaction was - be truthful - so suggested that he was now discovering they were eating him out of house and home. But he said that wasn't the case, they only ate a bag of food every 2 weeks.  (As yet!)So I said that as entire males their only future was in the freezer and mine was already full of meat. He said he didn't really want them killed but so long as they were humanely treated then he would accept that that was their likely fate.
So there you are. Anyone in the area who's interested, pm me and I'll pass it on.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: 2 kune kune weaners - FREE. Goole/Selby area.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:32 am »
Are they registered?
They would have eartags that say bkkps somewhere on them

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:13:59 pm »
No idea. Why -  would they taste better?
Rules are made:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:47 pm »
I wouldn't want to eat the ears ! Fsmnutter asked if they are registered because we are looking for a new registered boar ! But with the kune kune society's policy on registering boars I very much doubt they are !!!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:58 am »
Exactly!
They were originally sold as weaners, not as breeding stock, so wouldn't expect them to be registered or the present owners would be able to sell them for breeding; given that their preference would be for them not to go for killing.
And if they were registered - would you really take an 800 mile return journey from darkest Bamffshire to the wilds of Yorkshire, just because they were free?   :thinking:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:51:09 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:27:25 pm »
We've been on the lookout for a boar, and a Boer billy goat. As you can appreciate, everywhere is a long distance from here, so we have been looking at boars for sale, and billy goats for sale in similar areas to make the trips worthwhile in terms of taking time off work and arranging cover for the smallholding. We had enquired about a boar with two unrelated gilts in Devon as there are multiple Boer herds there. We also know of Boer breeders in Yorkshire, so if the boars are registered, we are getting what we need, from an area that is worth making the journey for, and helping out someone who cannot look after them at the same time.
To pay nothing for them is incidentally a bonus, we are not deliberately only looking for free animals!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS