Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping lambs  (Read 6420 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Limping lambs
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:59 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a lamb that has a very painful right leg, it holds it up all the time, I gave it alamycin this past few days, cannot see anything on or in the foot so sprayed Terramycin on it. See another one the same tonight. It looks like a foot pain and not a joint issue. What could this problem be?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Limping lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:34 pm »
Try looking between it's cleats to be sure there's no thorn in it ?? Or a dry lump of mud. If not then it may well be joint unless mum has stood on it and bruised it ??? :innocent:

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:05:06 pm »
I looked in between. It could be a thorn I guess as hedges cut a few months ago. I will inspect again tomorrow. It holds the leg very high and is still sucking and running about on 3 legs so don't think it's joint Ill . If it was a thorn it will be very hard to get out between the cleats  :-\

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:14:18 pm »
You haven't said how old the lambs are ?  first thought if wks old would be joint ill , if older then scald

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
Mine was a couple of weeks old and I didn't see the thorn at first but as it caused a small  abscess and the thorn popped up! Hope you find a reason soon. P.S we'd had the hedges trimmed and it was a blackthorn !!!! :relief:

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:00 pm »
vet

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:57:08 am »
JI wouldn't stop it sucking or running around, thats the heart breaking thing, they are crippled but bright

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
If they are out chasing about and leaping around, they might have a pulled muscle, ligament or sprain. It will soon right itself if you can see no obvious signs of foot probs or foreign body in foot. How some lambs bolt around flat out it's a wonder they don't constantly break legs!

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »
Cheers for replies guys! Yeah I checked it again today as usual and noticed its foot was swollen the size of a golf ball . Lucky my neighbour (aged 70+ and has a lifetime of expertise) was near hand feeding his sheep. I took it to him and he lanced the foot and squeezed a load of puss out , injected with alamycin and foot bathed in salty water . Problem solved fingers crossed!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:55:38 pm »
Sorry but since it sounds like joint ill just lancing won't be the end of it , the pus may keep coming ,   the AB you mention would not be the best for JI  and would require a longer course .   W hat about the second limping lamb you mentioned ??      J I is very serious and if abcesses  form on the internal organs it  will kill !

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06:10 am »
the other one seems better now, i gave it some noroclav, and another in a different field is very slow and has a swollen knee, it also receives noroclav daily until it clears up (hopefully) . I hope this one with the swollen foot hasn't got joint ill

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 11:51:49 am »
Hmm, I would be inclined to consider all have joint ill and treat accordingly. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 11:59:06 am »
Hmm, I would be inclined to consider all have joint ill and treat accordingly.

yes

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:12 pm »
When we have had the rare case of joint ill the vet prescribed synolux?

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
Thanks guys, I will treat all for joint ill. Vet prescribes 'Noroclav' for joint ill for lambs. Only ever used it before for a calf so i have no opinion on the stuff with sheep yet :/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS