Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long inside?  (Read 3341 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
How long inside?
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:47:33 am »
How long do we have to keep Diesel in? We got him last Tuesday and intended to keep him in for two weeks but he's a young cat and getting stir crazy. Obviously I don't want him to run away or get lost (although Bertie might buy him a bus ticket  :) )

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: How long inside?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:30 am »
I'm no expert but we have only ever kept ours in for a week and in the case of one of them it was only 2 days as she escaped. Luckily she did find her way back to us.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
I thought that people used to say 3 weeks but we let our girl out after approaching 2 weeks because she was finding it hard going ..... spent most of her life living outdoors and wandering off for weeks at a time so being locked indoors was new to her. She knew this place as 'home' though so a bit different.

I'd be 'cruel to be kind' and keep him in for as long as you and him can stand.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »
I'd be 'cruel to be kind' and keep him in for as long as you and him can stand.

This.  Well, up to a couple of weeks, anyway.  And when you do let him out, make sure he knows there's bacon (or whatever he can't resist) and that he's hungry, and don't leave him out for too long before calling him in for the yummy treat.

Do you have a call for them that means, "Yummy treats, kitties come running!"?  Mine were always so greedy, "Kiiiitttttiiiiieeeeessss" would get them to come home at 100mph no matter what they were busy with!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:51 pm »
When we moved here from Guernsey, we bought cat harnesses and walked the cats outside every day for the first 2 weeks before we let them out (we had intended on keeping them in for a month, but the constant stir crazy behaviour drive us to letting them out earlier!) I don't know if the walks had helped them but they all found their way home easily enough. It might be worth atry so he can get the smell of the place without being frightened and running off.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:03:37 pm »
I've moved with cats many many times and always aimed for 2 weeks indoors, and it's always been fine.  Once we moved right across the street and I was puzzling over whether I should keep them in so they wouldn't be confused, but they watched us carry all our stuff over and seemed to understand perfectly well that if the stuff and the people were now over there, that must now be home!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
Also, your pics of Diesel always remind me of Marvin the Martian ;D
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:25:27 pm »
He reminds me of Mittens the cat in the animated film, "Bolt"

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 09:17:17 am »
Ive found that 1 week isn't enough, so I always aim for 2 weeks. Ive just let our 2 new ferals out after 2 weeks ( I did wonder abut keeping them in longer) and they are fine.
In October though I kept a feral in for 3 weeks and the day I opened the door for him he vanished....only to be spotted here again on the yard a week ago!
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS