Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exporting sheep  (Read 5683 times)

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
Exporting sheep
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:31:34 pm »
Hi I have someone interested in buying my 5 zwartble gimmers but they are wanting them exported to Southern Ireland. I have never had to export sheep before would anyone be able to give me any information about exporting sheep before I agree to selling them. Thank you

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Exporting sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »
Your breed society should be able to give breed specific advice.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »
Not done sheep but pigs. Defra is a good place to start for information. With pigs and suspect sheep will be similar they have to be in isolation for so many days and will probably need blood tests before they leave and after they arrive. Also a vet to inspect to say they are fit to travel.

You need all the info so you what tests they might need and inspections so you can work out the extra costs on top of the price of the animals.

I found the paperwork straight forward but timings are crucial.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:55:33 pm »

It's all here    https://www.gov.uk/exporting-live-animals-or-animal-products-to-non-eu-countries

2 MV blood tests 6 months apart (unless you are MV accredited)
scrapie genotyped, Ovine brucellosis test?

vet visit
transport certificate

get the money in advance and make sure you charge for the work you will have to do, it can be extensive!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:21:03 pm »
Southern Ireland is in the EU.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:38 pm »
Northern Ireland is part of the UK but you still need export documentation.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »
im from northern ireland and for me to be able to export to the south or even to england we have to be scapies monitored
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:49:06 pm by beagh-suffolks »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »
im from northern ireland and for me to be able to export to the south or even to england we have to be scabies monitored

think that's scrapie monitored? It is not necessary to be scrapie monitored to export between EU member states but the animals in question have to be scrapie tested ARR/ARR

Just go to the DEFRA site, look up the export certificate requirements for within EU trade and start through the process----good luck!
There are people who can organise parts of it for you ----Mike Adams is one    mikeadams@warners-court.com

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:15:27 pm »
Thank you very much for all the information will have a look through it and need to decide if its going to be worth my while exporting them.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:39 pm »
It is pretty straightforward as long as they're scrapie type 1 ARR/ARR. The easiest is to get the potential buyer to pay for the scrapie test regardless of result. Then if they're type 1 start the process. (1) into isolation - for at least 30days before intended export   (2) vet visit, blood test for mv, must be exported within 30 days; apply for export licence from carlise; importer applies for import licence, & gets his/her premises check for post import isolation, arranges with haulier    (3) Within 24 of leaving vet comes out, inspects sheep to travel for fitness to travel & rest of flock for scrapie cla etc, checks Irish paperwork, completes export licence

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 07:46:01 am »
Zwartbles are unlikely to be ARR/ARR as most breeders are not scrapie testing as this has largely moved on .  MV acreditation is probably more important if you are exporting and if you are not, then this will take time and be an expensive option.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:18:30 am »
Zwartbles are unlikely to be ARR/ARR as most breeders are not scrapie testing as this has largely moved on .  MV acreditation is probably more important if you are exporting and if you are not, then this will take time and be an expensive option.

I think you will find that If they aren't ARR/ARR then you won't export them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
We exported a dozen ewes to NI, and it was a huge faff and definitely not worth the bother.  We delivered them too, but could not have got them to Eire in the 8 hours our license covers.  If you are going to go ahead with the sale, make sure the buyer or their haulier collects.
There will be a border inspection when you arrive, or in NI there is, and that has to be factored into the timing too.
We found it an expensive luxury, and unless your flock is already scrapie genotyped, MV whatevered and so on, then you will spend an inordinate amount of time on this.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS