Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is electric fencing safe for geese?  (Read 6477 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Is electric fencing safe for geese?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »
Due to delays with the agricultural grants we do not yet have a boundary fence, so next door's sheep are free to come and go as they please. However I've already ordered some geese which are due to arrive in a few months time, and I want the ground to have a chance to recover.
I'm thinking of putting up some temporary electric fencing, to keep the sheep out rather than the geese in. I have 200m to do, so it needs to be cost effective. Thinking of three wires, using polyposts every 5m with a wooden post about every 20m to help stop it blowing over.
I'm sure three wires will be enough to keep the ewes off my land, their lambs might sneak in but I will just live with that, however is this type of fence likely to be a danger to the geese? I'd hate to think of them getting caught up in it.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Re: Is electric fencing safe for geese?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22:58 pm »
It's worked just fine for me in the past  :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »
We have hundreds of yards of electric fence al over the place for the pigs and the geese wander about ignoring it all day. If they want to go through it they will but most of the time they steer clear. I think it's more because there's nothing to attract them into the pig's pens rather than the fence keeping them out.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »
I've used electrified poultry netting for geese with no issue at all.  Just beware that it doesn't mix well with horned sheep.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:09:26 pm »
I use 3 strands of electric wire with no problems for my geese

Steeple Ducks

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:18:08 am »
I have had a young goose strangled in the poultry netting but I think if it's kept well tensioned it is not too risky and a lot better odds than getting killed by the fox, but I see yours is wires so no worries.

They will probably investigate it by nibbling it and find it kicks, then keep away. If they're like the ducks there will always be a barrier there even if it's taken away. To try herding them through non-existent fence, they'll keep dodging back past you, wings out, shrieking, to avoid being trapped!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:38:49 am »
My sheep walked straight thru electric fencing, (it may have only been 2 strand), but I was told the fleece is such a good insulator electric fence would be no good. He said then if they did get tangled up in it it could give them a heart attack?
Tried having a chat with the sheeps owner? it's the stock owner who has the responsibiliy of control/containment.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:13:02 pm »
Good point there. It's up to the sheep's owner to stop them from straying, not up to you to keep them out of your land. Have a word with them.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:08 am »
Last year I had 3 electric wires around my turnip field to try and keep the geese out.
If they try to go under it they didn't seem to get much shock as the feathers on their back must be fairly good insulators.
If the rewards were not so great (tasty turnip leaves) they might not have bothered but as it was I spent a lot of the summer chasing them out of the field.

The geese are hard as nails and I can't imagine much bothering them.  In fact in a fight between a goose and a sheep I would put my money on the goose (NO I am not suggesting a cruel new sport)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 07:36:46 am »
Totally agree geese are as hard as nails. They beat our dog up when we first got them. It's also true that their feathers insulate them from the shock of the fence. Amazing birds really, tough as old boots.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »
I can confirm that the winner of our recent goose-tup fight was the goose, by some considerable margin.

I can also confirm that his predecessor was indeed tough as old boots despite spending the whole day in a slow cooker.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS