Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse?  (Read 2955 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
prolapse?
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »
Bit of advice needed. I have two hoggs who today looked pink and slightly swollen "there", one is due approximately 6/4/15 and the other the 31/3/15 both are carrying twins. The one due earlier seems content, the other seems to be a little uncomfortable walking, neither is straining or distancing themselves, both came over to the trough earlier. Had an hour for lunch so thought I'd sit and observe my girls. Planning to bring them in on Sunday. Am I right in thinking this is potentially a prolapse?.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: prolapse?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:46 pm »
If lady bits are just pink and puffed up a bit that's normal, if it looks like something's sticking out that should be inside - that's a prolapse!  You will have no doubt if you see one!  Sometimes a bit pops out when they are lying down and pops back in when they stand up - if so they need keeping an eye on.  Sounds like yours are fine.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:51:58 pm »
Just pink and swollen, nothing red, nothing that resembles a balloon or anything. I did ring my boss for advice, he did ask how I felt when I was due to give birth in a few weeks  ::).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:12:19 pm »
When I had my first prolapse (well the ewe had a prolapse not me) I was very green and didn't know what it was. I knew it was definitely something wrong though. A quick google and I knew exactly what was wrong. Yes, definitely looked like a red balloon and nothing like just pink and swollen
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:15:03 pm »
Shall check again once I've fed calves then going to get an experienced shepherd to take a look. It wasn't there this morning or yesterday, good job I like sitting watching my sheep on my lunch break!.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:29:45 am »
One ewe looks normal again, later ewe looked fine but seems to be pink and swollen again. Experienced shepherd coming back out at lunchtime. Bought both a harness and a 'paddle' just in case. Is this normal? She's the only ewenow doing it

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:55 am »
Slight prolapse looks pink and shiny with a fold showing, nothing like the dry but slighty enlarged vulva of late pregnancy.  I'd be inclined to keep them on flat gound, if possible, not give them any reason to start running and just keep an eye on them.  I never use ewe spoons - did once and consider it both very uncomfortable for the ewe and an excellent route for infection tracking into the vagina.  Harness works fine if you're confident of being around when the ewe starts to actively give birth and you can whip it off her.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:04 am »
Actually, if you have to use a harness and don't have it strapped up uncomfortably tight, but just enough so it supports the prolapse, the ewe can lamb through it ok.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:05:52 am »
Thank you, more experienced shepherd says they look normal and that I've to stop over thinking things. Putting the twina bearers inside today and the ones due earliest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS