Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a start at last!!  (Read 3210 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
a start at last!!
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
myself and my father in law started to dig over some of our veg beds today,
i thought with the cold and wet weather we have been having we were never going to make it!.
we are working with clay soil which is still a little wet so hopefully a little digging over will help.
we are going to let them rest for another week or so before giving them a second dig.
if the weather stays dry tommorow we are going to give the other beds a first dig over.
we are itching to get on with seeds etc. happy gardening everyone ;)
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: a start at last!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:56 pm »
Well, I am way behind you regarding the digging!!  Although I have got my potatoes, ready to get chitting soon.  In this part of the country the soil does not warm up until mid May!!!  So I have plenty of time for digging.  Our veg and plants are always way behind, sprng comes late to the hills of Derbyshire, and we get snow and frost until late, so leave planting as late as we can.

Your veg will be ready to be eaten by the time we plant ours!!!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:18 am »
Wow, well done! I haven't even started my sweetpeas yet. As for digging, it's gone so cold again, and I only managed to get out to feed and water the chooks before my hands started going numb. It's not minus temperatures but seems bitterly cold - it may be the wind but I'd be so glad when it gets slightly warmer.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 02:54:44 pm »
I think it is too cold to plant anything outside in Central Scotland.  When I arrived at the shoot near Dunfermline this morning it was 3 plus but it felt an awful lot colder.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:40:53 pm »
i agree its to cold to plant anywhere i think.
we just wanted to get the first dig in, then let the frost(as we are sure more to come)
break up the lumps even more.
its lush to see the beds cleared of weeds and looking like what a veg bed should be :D
Langdon ;)

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:05:18 pm »
Oh I'm jealous! Dying to get a start on my garden again but it's under snow at the moment.

Had the main plot plowed late last year and can't wait to see all that lovely earth. We thought we were getting a mild winter here in Bulgaria until a fortnight ago when the temperatures plummetted and the snow arrived. Got down to at least -22 here but it's starting to warm up a little now thankfully.

Might even be able to find my winter veg plot again in a week or so!

Happy gardening everyone
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »
it was 3 plus but it felt an awful lot colder.

Ah!  The joys of living in Scotland.  My other half always tells tales of having to break the ice in the toilet before using!  Scottish temperatures should have a reading all of their own in my opinion - always feels colder than it is!  ;)

I am still at the "thinking" stage of gardening...thinking about buying potatoes...thinking of getting some manure dug in...thinking doesn't get anything done though does it?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS