Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introducing lambs to electric fence?  (Read 3193 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
introducing lambs to electric fence?
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
right i'm back again! hi all :)
so with lambing round the corner, all my sheep are currently electric fenced but will be pulled into a barn for lambing. when I feel they are both then ready i will let them back out into the electric, question is though 'how would you introduce lambs that have never seen electric before to it?
i have 2 pens that have 2 strands and the older mums that are used to it are fine with that but i'm thinking 3 strands for the lambs to start off with to teach them? and this is orange polywire, would polytape be better as it might be slightly more visible? are they likely to 'test it' several times or just the once like their mums did?

they will of course be with mothers in field when introduced to the fence
Cheers Ed

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: introducing lambs to electric fence?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »
They will be fine ----will test the wire a few times but mum will call them back and that will be the end of it

I keep 1000 ewes and their lambs behind 3 strands of electric no problem

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:19:42 pm »
I have never done anything special to train lambs to the fence, make sure it's turned up nice and high and when they get a belt they will learnt nice and quick

They generally put noses or try and suck it so they do get a good shock and learn well,  the ewe usually will call them away

I have had lambs behind two strands of plain steel wire or three of poly wire

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:06:47 am »
My commercial neighbours use the two strand and put lambs out with their mums as soon as poss.

I prefer the orange netting but as little lambs can get caught up in it I dont turn it on for little ones. All my sheep can see it and respect it when its not turned on so it works as a visual barrier for me for a good few months. When it is on its on low. Then I separate ram lambs after weaning I put it on high and they get their first real blast as they try to go through it to return to their mums. This memory lasts into adulthood even when the fence isnt on but I do keep a very laid back breed.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:32 am »
I have 3 strand poly wire, its on all the time through lambing and beyond, never had a problem with it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS