Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flail mower for compact tractor (28hp)  (Read 3274 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Flail mower for compact tractor (28hp)
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »
We are looking to upgrade from our topper to a flail mower - anyone got any recommendations as to which make is better (but still reasonable in price) and which to avoid? Although the Wessex machinery was recommended to us we don't have 3000 quid plus VAT to pay for a mower.... :-\

Our tractor is 2wheel drive, 28hp (it's a Foton) and has a Cat1 PTO.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Flail mower for compact tractor (28hp)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:43:10 pm »
I have just bought one from KTM machinery for my Dexta (31hp)
It is still in its wrapper though as the rushes I want to mow have been under snow for most of the last month so I can't tell you anything about it.

I have bought stuff from KTM before (a bale spike and a tow hitch) and it was delivered very promptly however the mower took soddin' ages.  It turned out they were out of stock but didn't think about calling to explain this and it took me quite a few calls to track it down.

I will let you know what it is like after I have had it out and done some work with it.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:48 am »
Oxdale.  We have bought and used some of their range and are very impressed with the quality for the price.  Not bought a flail though.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »
Most of the snow has melted over the last couple of days so I had the new flail mower out for an hour yesterday.  It seemed to do a good job over assorted rushes and molehills and I think it will do me fine.  I won't be able to say for sure about its reliability until I have had it a few years though.

Mine is 145cm (on a tractor of about 30hp) which is about the right size.  It makes the tractor engine labour hard when you go into thick rushes but it manages.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »
We got ours from MDLPowerup.com via ebay, so much cheaper than the 'Brand Names' but I can't see where the costs have been cut. Really pleased with it, so much so that I have posted on here previously (including pictures) and I've recommended them to friends.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS