Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paddock Size  (Read 4047 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Paddock Size
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:47 pm »
i currently have 2 half acre paddocks which I use primarily for the goats. I am just wondering if they would be better divided down into 4 quarter acre paddocks so I can rotate and hopefully keep the grass growing and less sour?

I was thinking about doing a bit of hedge planting (with secondary fencing!) so they had some browsing also? Because of their need for shelter and better fencing I am a bit limited on safe grazing.

I only have 6/7 adults at any one time but with kids the numbers can go up to nearer 20

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Paddock Size
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:50 am »
Wow that a lot of goats on a small area. With that much grazing pressure I don't think subdividing will give the land much more rest. Definitely plant hedging so they have access to it to browse on. Maybe run some chickens in the paddock that you are resting to help reduce the worm burden on the land.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
Growing a hedge for browse is a good idea but will take while to establish and you will loose quite  a bit of ground when you double fence as goats have incredibly long necks when there's something yummy to be had !! What breed are they? If they're pygmies then the area is probably plenty.
You could try growing some of the fast growing willow that you see advertised in magazines like the smallholder but I have no first hand experience of it to know whether there goats are very keen or not.
My goats used to trim my hedges so well that my contractor only had to trim the outside edge and about a third of the top because the goats had done the rest but could reach no further despite using the stock fence as a step ladder !!!!
Love them goats  :roflanim:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:11:41 pm »
Willow would be a great idea. It grows like a weed, even from just cuttings (we had to fell a tree that was threatening to fall on the house a w couple of logs about 8" in diameter were left on the ground and sprouted).
Our goats love it. It's a shame you are not closer or you could take as much as you needed, I have to hack a load back round the pond where it is taking over.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:19:39 pm »
I tried planting willow and protecting it and the little sods destroyed it! I have another acre and access to a further paddock but as my ponies chase them I keep them separate. I have 2 pedigree Boer does, 2 Boer crosses and 2 dairy goats plus my billy.

I do have access to another 5 acres for the sheep and might try and put them there for a bit so they can trim the hedges plus if they say in electric I can put them on my sheep winter grazing for a few weeks before winter to also trim hedges.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:23 pm »
Would it be possible to have a rotation that included the ponies following goats? read somewhere that ponies and cows can help reduce worming.
I'm thinking of a similar idea for a 4acre field, plus some other areas which would give a 6x weekly rotation.

moomaa

• Joined Feb 2015
    • VARI Machines
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:53 am »
Yes willow works for me. My neighbour has a willow hedge and take about 5ft off of it every year and my girls love it.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:48:14 am »
Re using the sheep field, please remember that goats do not develop any immunity to gut worms so make sure that your sheep have a low Feacal Egg Count before considering this or make sure that before you move the goats back into their usual paddocks that you get a FEC done on them in case they need worming !! Just a thought as I have kept both and needed to keep a close eye on worm burdens.
By the way, if they got to the willow with protection a nice mixed hedge will be more tempting !! Better idea to let them trim established ones and remove them when they have done their job.  :innocent:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:48 pm »
I have been letting ponies in to graze goat paddocks but goats have zero worm count and my sheep are low. I have done resistance tests in all and will be doing repeat checks when weather warms up.

I might go with the mixed hedge, starting with some in the chicken area which borders the goats. That should minimise extra fencing for now.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:50:13 pm »
Sounds like you have it sorted !! Good Luck :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS