doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: verm-x
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »
I have used it in the past, but my chooks have been under pen arrest for such a long time (weather related!) and with the ducks, that I'm giving them flubinvet this time - it's a scutter though - mix the measured amount in with a little food, then mix that in with more, then in with the whole amount, and every day for a week - last day tomorrow thank goodness!  No worms seen at any time but better safe etc.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »
what is pen arrest? it sounds serious.
so you think that other stuff is better than verm x?
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »
Shut in their run because I couldn't get the gate de-iced - hence pen arrest ;D ;D ;D

I think Verm-x is good as a general wormer, Rosemary is a fan of it I believe.  I just felt that they might be more prone being incarcerated so long and went for the strong stuff this time - oh, and I had totally run out so had to decide which - flubinvet was a wee tad cheaper.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »
We use verm-x.... but the chooks don't seem very keen and drink noticably less when its in the water!  
maybe need a change...
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:16 pm »
thanks for replying, pen arrest thats funny, there is me thinking it was a deadly virus or disease or
something!!!!!!!!!.
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »
do you need to put it into water?
ive been using it for a long time now and have allways added it to their food :chook:
Langdon ;)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

The verm-x that I gave to chooks came in a pellet form which I mixed in with their feed. Was certainly easy to do it just needs to be done very regularly, I know that you have to worm regularly anyway but with chemical wormers it is not quite so often. I think with the verm-x it had to be given every month
Anne

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:30 pm »
did you or your freind use it every month?
i guess i do mine 2mths or so  :chook:
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »
do you need to put it into water?
ive been using it for a long time now and have allways added it to their food :chook:
We have a liquid, I'm sure its given every 2 - 3 months... I'll check when I go in the kitchen!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »
It was pellets I had and I mixed it in with their layers pellets, trouble is you don't know for sure they are all getting enough - same goes for flubinvet though.  I suppose the only way is liquid form and syringe down the throat - provided you can catch them of course!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:49 am »
I use liquid Verm X every month. I soak cubes of bread in the liquid and scatter that - the hens eat it quite happily. It's  bit hot or miss but then so is Flubenvet. The hens seem fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS