Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feral cat  (Read 4136 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Feral cat
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:49:37 pm »
I have mice in the stables and they have been making their home in my hay. Would a feral cat be a good idea? The cat I currently have rarely goes out so I doubt the 2 would ever meet.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Feral cat
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:22:40 pm »
definitely.
 My feral did for the mice in our stables in no time, to the point that she had to move out into the fields to find her sport. Sadly I lost her a couple of weeks ago to a car but Ive now got 2 more ferals in my tack room serving their time before they can be let out. I can already see a difference in the mice too so cant wait for the ferals to start patrolling ( not least because they are crapping all over the tack room floor: Yuk)
Is it time to retire yet?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »
Thanks Kimbo. I think I an going to try for one at a local rescue centre.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »
good idea Bionic. Some of the poor things wait years to find a home.
Is it time to retire yet?

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:44:34 pm »
Bionic I have a few cats and one heads straight to the stables every morning when the horses get out
He sits on the top of the dividers and catches all sorts almost every 2nd day
We find mice ,things smaller with pointy noses and the occasional rabbit which my wife isn't pleased meeting when she's in first ...lol

Wouldn't be without the cats and they don't bother the horses or hens

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:07:12 pm »
our best hunter is a Bengal cross. plenty of muscle and kills everyday.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:14:21 pm »
It would depend on how relaxed your homely cats are with other cats on their territory. Some are laid back, some will fight to move the outsider away from their territory and some homely cats are homely because they aren't happy about meeting outsiders out and about due to nerves and that could cause serious health problems with your home cats when they have an outsider living in close proximity.

The feral may not take kindly to having 'outsiders' in its territory and start bullying any cat coming out of the house or staring them out through windows  :o

If you take one check you can have say a month trial to assess your own cats behaviour . That way you will notice any stress behaviour, urinating in unwanted places or bladder blocking and risking kidney function.

Cats are loners by nature and have large territories. All I can say is you don't know until you try it but beware of possible problems developing.

Also consider using a feliway plugin at home, and if possible also where the feral will stay, for a few months to minimise the likelihood of stress and severity of its effects.

All that said, It would be lovely if you could give a feral a lovely home. They don't do well in confinement at Catteries and aren't rehomeable as pets. And added bonus of resident rodent patroller  :fc:  :thumbsup:

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
I was going to suggest feliway too!
I saw this advert the other day (hopefully I've uploaded pic ok).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS