Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: suggestions please (roofing old outbuilding)  (Read 2511 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
suggestions please (roofing old outbuilding)
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:03 pm »
the house i live at has a large workshop/store thats about 12m x 4m and the roof is made of old corrugated fibre board (not had asbestos tested yet, so assuming the worst) quite frankly its shot its leaking badly in many places. having been up for a look the outside is flaking very badly and i wasn't too keen walking on it it's that bad...

i'm guessing it needs removing and replacing but with what?

we are tenants but have a long contract so i don't mind spending a bit of money to do this, the buildings are mainly for storage but in time i'd like a small workshop out there...

so warmth isn't necessary as such but dry certainly is...

suggestions/thoughts please

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: suggestions please (roofing old outbuilding)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »
I'd go with second hand box-profile cladding. You can get it from most of the demolition companies at a set price per metre - just phone around.

TBH, if the old roof IS asbestos, that's going to cause you way more of a headache in removing it than installing new will.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:43:03 pm »
Tin roofs tend to get condensation on the underside which will drip all over your stuff.

You might want to consider fibre cement sheets which look look exactly like the asbestos ones you have now but won't cause condensation.

I did a shed in second hand tin sheets, but of course they already have holes in from the old fixings.  I've spent hours putting nuts and bolts through the holes to stop the leaks, but it's still leaks....I rue the day, should have just shelled out for new.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:47:24 pm »
well i priced up new metal sheets are about 300 onduline is about 500 and i haven't found a supplier for concrete fibreboard stuff yet but will...

for now its getting 2 tarps some ropes and some rocks till my summer season kicks in and i have spare monies :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS