Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Early flying days  (Read 2310 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Early flying days
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »
Just looked out of the window and the Daphne odorata variety 'Jacqueline Postill' is covered in honey bees feeding on the flowers ;D .  It's quite chilly and been drizzling on and off all day.  Sadly we no longer keep bees so I guess a wild colony is making the most of a break in the  :raining: even though there is no sun.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Early flying days
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:58 pm »
So long as it is day light & the temp is 50 oF ( 10C ) bees will try and fly . Occasionally they get fooled by strong sunlight being reflected on snow and a few come out for , " A morning constitutional " . Evidently If the clouds arrive when they are out they often fail to make it back to the cluster .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:08:11 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:15:02 pm »
Ours haven't ventured out today but they were flying yesterday when it was warmer

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:31:17 pm »
Haven't seen mine out - but we also haven't hit 10 degrees yet so probably a good job! Wish it would dry up a bit.....

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:13:56 am »
her in my locality of South wales It's bee as dry as a camels foot for nearly six weeks . three weeks ago I emptied my 310 litre water barrel re-constituting coir waste for our big outside flower tubs  and it's not re filled with much more than  four inches of rain.
in a normal days rain it gets filled and over flows .

Today has been dry and not too cool so long as I was in the suntrap but by 16.30 it was getting rather brassy to say the least .  I reckon we'll have a visit from Jack Frost to night.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS