Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New smallholder Near Hamsterley Co Durham  (Read 8649 times)

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: New smallholder Near Hamsterley Co Durham
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:01 pm »
Lucky buggers!!! Can't wait to get some....where you getting them from??

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
Looks like ginger pigs coming next week (Yipee)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob ;D.

:pig: :pig:  Congratulations   :pig: :pig:

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »
The pigs (Tamworths) eventually turned up two weeks ago, the wife thought it was funny that they sounded like sheep, that was until she found out that an old couple who let me do a couple of days work on the farm, had dropped of two sheep (for my hard work) for me as well as the pigs. The pigs are no bother, wish i had them sooner. Been working with a local bee keeper and getting my hive soon, at least this time i've had some training first.

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:26 pm »
Alright Rob...how's things going? Hope the Tamworths are settling in OK. We're getting 4 possibly this weekend to add to our collection of 2  tam/Oxford crosses, 4 Lops and 3 Oxfords. Going to try getting hold of some boars to start breeding soon as well which we can't wait for.

The gingers dead mischevious then?? Our tam/oxford crosses are smashing and no bother but will be taking the trip before too long....not looking forward to that.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 08:01:18 am »
Micko, now is the time to start to desensitive yourself for the event, start looking at them with a view to what you will do with the carcasses.  Are the hams big enough for your needs, how much bacon will they produce, and weather permitting which bits are you going to barbeque after the butchering?  It does help honestly.

Not that it is ever easy, but then you wouldnt be a caring smallholder if it was   :D

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:24 am »
Hi Micko, i can't believe you have managed to get so many pigs already, i bet your looking forward to the meat if not the experience, it only makes you a decent person really. I managed to get the Tamworths for £40 in the end so give me a shout if your paying more they are good breeders i get them from. Did you manage to get the polly tunel up? i put up my greenhouse which was then picked up and the glass smashed in a storm, looking for plastic sheets now. Managed to get loads of other stuff in though, the dumpy bags have worked well again.

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 03:43:29 pm »
It's not me you must understand Hilarysmum....its the Mrs!

Rob...we're getting the Tams from Sarah Dodds at Yearle (castrated males) but it will definitely be hard to see the current ones go. Hard not to get attached to them and their ways. After all these months the polytunnel is just about up...only now needs the poly putting over and of course we've done very well to miss the season so will no doubt use some of it for storage for the time being. Looks an impressive structure though and good and secure (shouldn't speak too soon!). How have used the dumpy bags cos we've got tons of them through our landscape business (been hoarding as much junk as I can)?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 09:20:43 am »
It's not me you must understand Hilarysmum....its the Mrs!

Thats what my OH says as well   :D

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:18:50 am »
Hi and welcome Pottsie. I'm over in Cumbria, not really a smallholder but gardener with chickens looking to get pigs if i can persuade the farmer out the back to part with a little bit of land. Keep us informed how you get on with the pigs.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »
I have a public footpath that skirts my back paddock so i've used the dumpy bags as a border, filled them with a manure compost mix and they couldn't have worked much better, i've got everything from potatoes to salad to garlic to parsnips in again this year. They work so well that i put 12 in last year and i've now started filling the gaps. I have been warned that they only last a few years but they have all been going a year and a half now with no probs. The pigs love the perpetual spinach and chard which i planted last year and have swamped some of the bags.

Rob.  ;D

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 08:12:44 pm »
Good idea with the dumpy ags Rob. Due to the mad growth of weeds at our place reckon I'm going to cut them up and use them as a weed membrane....see how it works anyway.

Haven't been able to get a good enough connection to get onto the forum for ages as we're living in our caravan on the land here in Prudhoe and reception is an absolute disaster. Reckon we're going to have to go down the line of the new satellite broadband type of thing....but with the added complication of only having a 12v supply.

The new Tamworths from Yearle are great so far....except we got lasses instead! Not complaining as we may keep 1 or 2 for breeding....so may come back to you Rob about where you got yours from as we'll possibily need a boar. Also looking at the possibility of some large blacks but funds are getting tight and getting knackered building new arks each time...and then there's the fencing so drive in.....great fun.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »
Hi Micko,
Back to me and my recycling, instead of buying a pig arc i spoke to the local guy who comes out and fits new oil tanks when the old ones are leaking. The old types that are getting replaced are single skin and are made from exactly the same thick plastic as the field shelters you buy (about £400 pound worth), he dropped me three off for free and i gave him a bottle of whisky seemed like a fair swap? It only took a bit of work with a jigsaw and a power wash and it is perfect. Good luck with the internet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS