Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniature jersey cows  (Read 26574 times)

Sophie87

• Joined Feb 2015
Miniature jersey cows
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »
Hi
I'm looking to buy a miniature jersey cow for milking. Does anyone know and breeders in the uk? Help much appreciated!!
Sophie

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Miniature jersey cows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:09 am »
What on earth is a miniature jersey cow?  Do you mean a native jersey cow which is smaller than the Canadian ones?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:19 am »
Sophie87 - We've seen these miniature Jerseys in the US (my husband is from Philadelphia originally) and they are lovely and not hard to get at all in the States.
We would like some too so good luck with your search!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:03:58 am »
What'sthe obsession with miniature?

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:24 am »
Rosemary - in my case, we have just under five acres so not a huge amount of land. We have miniature Ouessant sheep and pygmy goats at the moment.
We are getting involved in animal assisted therapy with animals and they're very appealing and gentle and for people with special needs that is obviously paramount.
It may just be a coincidence but I'm 5 feet 0 and so perhaps that's why I've always been keen on miniature animals!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:13 am »
 I would imagine that in this country (if available) they would be very expensive.
What about a Dexter? Some of them come really small, will provide milk and produce a calf that won't overwhelm you with a mountain of meat.
 Or on a slightly different tack - are you choosing miniature Jerseys because you want a milking animal, or because they are small and pretty? Because if you don't really want to be committed to the milking routine - what about miniature donkeys? They are small and easy to handle and don't eat a lot. In winter they will thrive on straw. They are also very gentle and wonderful with children or people with learning disabilities.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:36:27 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »
Someone's trying to find a home for a Jersey that isn't for breeding...

They're not large animals, or at least, a lot of them aren't.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »
Apologies to Sally for going slightly off topic, just to say Landroverroy, I agree completely about the miniature donkeys, they are wonderful animals and perfect for the therapy and we hope to be fortunate enough to have some at some point.
I have seen Dexters and they are very sweet but the miniature Jerseys we saw in the US were very small and the response of the special needs children visiting them was wonderful

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:26:18 pm »
Surely if you want to milk a miniature jersey, you will need a miniature bull to serve it??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »
What's wrong with a goat?  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »
Surely if you want to milk a miniature jersey, you will need a miniature bull to serve it??

Nah, that won't work.   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:15 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:20 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Sorry not awake at the moment... up several times per night to check on the goats about to pop.... except they aren't (popping that is)..

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:22 pm »
 :wave: i googled these must admit they are pretty cool .couldnt see any in uk , did see a price of $2000.00 for a young heifer  :o .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »
:wave: i googled these must admit they are pretty cool .couldnt see any in uk , did see a price of $2000.00 for a young heifer  :o .

A pedigree regular-size Jersey heifer will cost quite a bit too.  I paid £1200 for an in-calf 2 year-old.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS