Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep behaviour or lack of it !!!  (Read 2086 times)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
sheep behaviour or lack of it !!!
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:40:11 pm »
I have 4 in lamb ewes, all 4+yes old all lived together with others on my holding. They have been separated from the rest of the flock for 2weeks while being fed. My problem is that when they came in today, because field is now very wet, they were put in a12'x14' stable and immediately the boss ewe started chasing the youngest ewe around and butting the oldest if she got in the way. I don't see this as sorting out a pecking order as that is already done . Any ideas?? I have separate them but I know that put together again they will start again !!  :sheep:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: sheep behaviour or lack of it !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »
Yes it's a pain isnt it?

a combination of feeling fat, fed up, permanently peckish and yet too full of lambies to eat very much makes my girls pretty grumpy at the end of their pregnancy and they have a tendency to do the same if reunited in the late stages. Some more so than others.

As some of the head buts are belly blows and the situation results in lots of stressed and out of breath ewes, I avoid it until post lambing. My lambing shed is partitioned so I can keep them separate until after lambing which also accommodates those that eat too much and get indigestion pains, the ones that need coaxing to eat, the ones that get headbutted if they become distressed in labor and the ones that steal others lambs.

Ah the joys of sheep....thank heavens for hurdles and hinges!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:32:56 pm »
My very pregnant goats do it as well when they go out into the field... but are ok in their groups in their pens.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
Pretty much confirmed my thoughts, thank you. My goats lived in a covered yard and apart from the usual change of dominance arguments I only had set toos when they went back with the others after kidding .
I will grin and bare their bad behaviour with the use of hurdles and empty stables, naughty girls !! :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS