Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Want a gorgeous goat?!  (Read 4472 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Want a gorgeous goat?!
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »
I am placing this for a friend, so if your interested PM me and I'll pass on her details.

Young male Bagot goat by the name of 'Doyle,' my friend say he has 'papers'

Free to a good home while entire,  will need to be castrated soon in which case owner would appreciate covering the cost of this.

Whilst a timid breed, Doyle is used to people, dogs, and horses.

for more breed info see   http://www.rbst.org.uk/watch-list/goats/bagot
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Want a gorgeous goat?!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »
I have always fancied having a bagot goat ......but do not want another entire male!!  If its an older goat, I am not sure how much it would be to castrate.  Oooh, must not have any more goats, castrated or not as I have far too many already!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »
no he's young.. but not sure exactly! around a year?
He is lovely, only small so you'd hardly notice him  (plug, plug!!) and you'd be doing your bit to preserve a rare. local (ish!) breed....  And they dont seem to smell too much!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »
My pygmy billy smells as bad as the Alpine one!!  Or so people tell me ......I must be used to the smell now, as I do not notice it much!!

If I had a bagot entire male, it would mean I would want some females to mate him with - increasing my already big goat herd some more!!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:40 pm »
Do you know, I don't think I've ever seen a Bagot. There's none in Scotland to my knowledge.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »
then be  the first!!

I think there may be some girls available, but younger
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:41:54 pm »
Hehe, with 16 already and seven of them pregnant- I think I have enough!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »
Female bagots are hard to come by I believe.  Only time I have seen any is at rare breed parks.

I did think Bobby our billy was one (or a cross).  He has the big curved back horns, and it was his colouring, with the mainly white back end, which made me think.  He is small and as wide as he is high, and has long hair!!  But we now think he is definitely pygmy, as the two kids so far off him are pygmy sized.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:59:14 pm »
Ooh they are a gorgeous breed aren't they? DH has firmly declared that no, we're not having a pygmy goat as a pet, because goats smell. I said he smells, and we still keep him! He replies, yeah but no-one eats him. I said, Uh... :-[ and didn't say anymore cos our son was there! I may change his mind yet...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »
they're larger than a pygmy... but not alot!  As a rare breed, one's conscience should be saying "yes, I'll do my bit!!!"
Absolutely gorgeous, with a beard that curls one way and a bobtail that curls the other...
(sorry, I'll shut up now, I cant push much more can I?!)
 ;) ;D
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
You are doing a very good job of being a goat sales woman, little Blue .....but definitely cannot have any more entire billies here!!!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »
they're larger than a pygmy... but not alot!  As a rare breed, one's conscience should be saying "yes, I'll do my bit!!!"
Absolutely gorgeous, with a beard that curls one way and a bobtail that curls the other...
(sorry, I'll shut up now, I cant push much more can I?!)
 ;) ;D

LOL no carry on  ;) I can be Alan Sugar and tell you how good you are at selling! Although I have to say no for myself at this point in time though, cos hubby says no  ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
[I have to say no for myself at this point in time though, cos hubby says no  ::)

Thats Him saying no, not you!
 Its not even a sell, technically.... he's free to a good goaty home! Its just that my friend doesn't want anymore 'mature' (Ahem!) billies, and would want vets fees covering.  You've got to admit, they are lovely, and a real piece of heritage, both goat-ish and Staffs-ish...
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS