Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: brush cutters ??  (Read 8128 times)

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
brush cutters ??
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a brushcutter ? We have some jungle management to do and I have read that a strimmer is no good. Mostly brambles and nettles. I have various bits of protective gear from chainsaw work, but,  are the anti-vibration  gloves worth the staggering investment for someone with knackered elbows? Many thanks.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: brush cutters ??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:52 am »
  I've suddenly developed tunnel carpel syndrome after brushcutting 2 acres without anti-vibration gloves. I've lost feeling in my left thumb tip,index and middle finger,something called "white-finger". Any use of chainsaw,lawn mower or strimmer intensifies the numbness traveling up my left arm.  This isn't a cry for sympathy (that's in the dictionary between sh*t and syphillus) this is a gentle prod towards you buying something that could save you a lot of grief in the future.
 I would recommend the Stihl brushcutters and attach a blade (I have a three-pointed one for the size of the engine),don't bother with all that string,nylon or any other rubbish that takes ages to wind on,ages to unravel and an age to thread through little holes whilst wearing anti-vibration gloves,oh,and nice pretty sparks when ya hit granite too!!!
 So go get some decent gloves,a decent harness and ear-plugs (or iPod at full blast  ;D) and enjoy the zen-like art of clearing brush........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:24:26 pm »
yeap gloves , harnis and ear defenders are the best thing to think about oh and don't for get the protective foot wear!!!

YOu get lots of different attantment for the bushcutter i would recommend to get the rotary blades the metal ones as the nylon thread can be a lot of bother unless threaded up properly and it has a self feeder on it.

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:31:24 pm »
Thankyou both so much xx

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:43 pm »
I had a similar problem last summer... I basically had 2 acres of very tall grass that hadn't been touched for around 8 years. I tried allsorts including my Stihl brushcutter but the only thing that actually worked was calling my mate who works the county council gardening contract. He brought what was essentially a much bigger version of my lawn tractor and made light work of it! Other suggestions would be a PTO driven "Topper" or a scythe...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS