Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Considering in Doncaster  (Read 2499 times)

ryaldinhio

• Joined Feb 2015
Considering in Doncaster
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »
Evening all,

Im Ryan I live on the outskirts of doncaster and in the process of buying a slice of land alongside my property. It isnt massive but will mean we have around half an acre. I am hoping to have time this year to get on top of the veg plot and get some chickens and maybe a  couple of pigs. The problem is the wife is not keen on having them slaughtered and she will definitely name them! I am a total novice so will be after advice from you all.

If there are any of you guys not to far from me who would be willing to have me the wife and little un round to show us the ropes it would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling to find any courses around here.

Thanks guys.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Considering in Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:52 pm »
Good luck Ryan, Im sure it will all be OK. Just dont name those piggies!! OR.... Pig 1 and Pig 2 are perfectly good names!
Is it time to retire yet?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:41:36 pm »
Hi Ryan and welcome to TAS :wave:

Get two uncastrated boars - they have no future apart from meat. We had gilts first time round and there was just that wee temptation to keep them (and breed from them).

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:46:23 am »
Fowgill is around your area and I've seen adverts from her for pig keeping courses. She seems to know her stuff so worth a booking  :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:42 am »
 :wave: from Devon

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:56 am »
Hi Ryan.  :wave: We had the same worries when we first got pigs about 5 years ago. But, although we were very fond of them, when it was time to  go it wasn't too bad. As that had been the plan all the way along and we were sure our pigs had had the best possible life it felt ok. Good luck with your new venture. I am sure that, like me, you will find this forum amazingly helpful!

Beastie

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:36 pm »
 :wave:  To Sunny Donny.Hi, from a refugee Doncastrian. I agree pigs are the easiest, pay a bit more and get them from a good breeder so they have been vaccinated etc. I got mine in the end of April and sent them off at the end of September, before it gets muddy. Make sure they have plenty of water, a bale of straw to sleep in and pick over and shop around for food, and start planning now where you are going to send them.
  If its a new plot I would put their pen on the worst part so they clear it for you but close enough to the water. To start off with I would use pallets for fencing as you might get them free with a strand of electric to keep them off them but it depends how secure you plot is.
  There are lots of web sites for help, and this forum has lots of knowledgeable people on it, with practicable experience. Enjoy.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:45 pm »
I have just got pigs for the first time and really enjoying them. However everytime I visit them I remind myself they are for eating so that when the time comes I am not overly attached. I call them "Big Pig Pig" and "Little Pig Pig" but not anymore personalised than that. As soon as they have a name, they are not a pet.

Good luck!

________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS