Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambing has started!  (Read 2034 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
lambing has started!
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:30:24 pm »
Just took dogs out for last pee before bed and went out to have a quick check of prolapse ewe and make sure spoon is still in.  Heard that distinctive motherly bleat in the shelter! One of my little brown welshies has a lovely black ram lamb.  She had taken herself into the shelter, out of the pouring rain to lamb! What a good mummy.  No afterbirth yet and I reckon there is another one in there, shut her in a pen in the corner with him and left her in the peace and quiet!  Wasnt expecting any babies for another 10 days!! 

Prolapse ewe was in the shelter with her, white mucus dripping from her spoon.  No smell to it.  cant quite work out if its and infection?  Start of lambing? or just bodily fluids being naturally expelled by the spoon!!??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lambing has started!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:52:15 pm »
Goody!  Looking forward to piccies  :eyelashes:

As to prolapse girl, if it's not smelly it's most likely nothing to worry about, just normal exuding.  It may mean she's close to lambing, or not.  (Typical sheep!  ::))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:02 am »
Just iodined his naval.  Lovely big ram lamb.  No sign of anything else.  and no sign of an afterbirth!  She either hasn't spat it out yet or has eaten it!!  Lamb was up, pretty dry and feeding when I found him so will go to bed and leave her to it! She might surprise me and have a twin there in the morning, (have had that before)!  Have shut prolapse ewe (her name is snowdrop) in for the rest of the night as she is looking rather shifty!  Got that look about her!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:14:39 am »
Snowdrop may have been tempted to have her own babies when she saw your other ewe lambing - I have had this happen before with 2 sister ewes.  One would see the other lambing and within a short time she would be lambing herself, it was very bizarre.  Once they both lambed out in the field earlier than planned and there were 5 lambs tottering about surrounded by the two sister ewes.  It took quite a while to work out which lambs belonged to which.  They lambed like this every year - one would start and then the other would follow suit!   Well done on the first lamb of the season for you  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS