Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lowline cattle  (Read 3242 times)

gstar9

• Joined Jan 2010
  • east sussex
lowline cattle
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:37:00 pm »
hi, I just wondered whether anybody has any experience of/knowledge/know of any pitfalls/bonus etc of the Lowline cattle? Are they the smallholders dream cow? or they just to good to be true?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: lowline cattle
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:43:40 pm »
They're bound to be good - they are Aberdeen Angus - just miniaturised! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
Re: lowline cattle
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:30:21 pm »
I breed cows as an AI tech. A lady was left some money by a brother and in his memory she decided to start a herd of cows, she chose Lowline as bigger cattle seemed scary to work with to her. She also liked the idea of smaller families- smaller cuts of meat.Plus she could keep more cattle on a smaller acreage.

She bought one purebred Lowline heifer out of Saskatchewan where there are quite a few herds. We AI'd it and got another heifer.
Then she went crazy! She superovulated the cow and flushed her getting 30 embryos by a top Australian bull. She rang the auction mart and had them send her 10 commercial heifers, mostly Simmental crosses, sight unseen. These were implanted with Lowline embryos.

It was amazing to watch the Simmental heifers calve the Lowlines. They weighed about 30 lbs and the mothers just calved so easily, they hardly knew they had had a baby! Again in the pasture, great big cows with little calves the size of dogs!
Still all went well, the Simmentals were sold as breeding heifers, they had been saved from the slaughter line, and she now has quite the herd of Lowline cattle.

Quiet, easy to work and in my opinion superior to Dexters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS