Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay racks  (Read 7017 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: Hay racks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 07:17:15 pm »
we did throw it on the floor but found alot of wastage, we also try putting it in barrels but found they dragged it all out, another way we found real good was we have theses single wooden palets and we would but in the big and the gaps were big enough for all the sheep to eat and it was real good, with hardly any wastage, calf hay racks we use when we individual them

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 08:40:15 am »
I suppose I should get the angle grinder out and lower the racks or maybe cut a few spars out near the bottom of them.. they make good wood baskets but apart from that are just sat becoming scrap!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 11:08:46 am »
OH got some weldmesh, bent the sides and bent it under so it was a 'box' open at the back and top, screwed onto the wooden pen sides. works fine. maybe you could give it it's own 'back' and tie it onto rails if that's whats needed?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »
Plastic feed sacks   :thumbsup:

And where can I buy these "feed sacks" of which you speak  :innocent:

I get them from the farm, dry cow rolls come in them  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »
I use them but cut them so they drop down lower on the hurdles. If the hay is packed in too tight my girls cant be bothered trying to pull it out especially when very close to lambing. I sometimes pack them and lay them on the floor of the pen for those girls who like to eat while lying down.

Also if they are packed to tight the hay doesn't drop down but gets wedged. A slice in a shallow gorilla tub works reasonably well too but after years of keeping horses I do use hay nets from time to time which if they are tied up high and tight work very well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS