Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does my coop need to be rat proof?  (Read 6053 times)

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
Does my coop need to be rat proof?
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
So I've almost finished my home-made coop ad its coming along nicely.
My construction currently has a load of areas around the roof area, both under the eaves and at the apex of the roof where I know small animals could enter the coop.

Do I need to close these areas to critters (I'm thinking mainly rats)?  I want to keep the ventilation, so would I need chicken wire or similar over these areas?

Thanks all,
Jim

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Does my coop need to be rat proof?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:27 pm »
Hi Jim,

Chicken wire won't keep rats, weasels, squirrels or other predators or vermin out, you need something much stronger and with 1/2" or 1" gaps. The good thing is you won't need a big expensive roll of it. The only thing chicken wire does is prevent chickens escaping inc escaping from predators, it doesn't keep much out other than magpies and pigeons.

Depending on where these gaps are located you might need something to stop the rain coming in, with our first coop the angle at which rain can fall surprised us...

Post a picture? :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:37:28 am »
All the ventilation points should be covered with weld mesh Congo. We use 12mm square with 1mm wire for ours. Even mice will get in and eat chicken feathers off the birds to get the blood out of the quills -a big problem here. Rats will eat their feet I've heard, taking toes or even the whole foot off during the night.

As Eve says, the angle of driving rain will get through ventilation areas so it is best if the apertures have sliding covers so one or the other side can be closed off, fully or partially, in bad weather.

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:26 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

Attached is a picture of the (almost) finished coop.  All in all, pretty free from driven wind and rain, except you can see that there is a gap at the front of the gable end which I will fill in with timber.

There is also a gap under the ridge cap, along the roof line which is my primary ventilation.  I want to keep the holes, so I will mesh underneath as suggested.

Under the eaves is a similar problem, and I think it will be more difficult to mesh it.  If I simply fill it all in with timber than I don't think I will get much through ventilation.  What dya think?  Should I simply fill in under the eaves, or mesh?

Thanks,
Jim

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:42:39 am »
wire wool? rodents hate it.

it looks very good  :thumbsup:

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »
Cool coop Jim. Cant you just put wooden battens with spacers (A few washers) so you will keep a small gap to let air in but nothing else in.

Good luck

David

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:43 pm »
I have today bought some 13mm x 1mm welded wire mesh as suggested.
Unfortunately I think I will have to remove the roofing to fit it properly.

Ah well, the best laid plans of mice, rats and men :-)

Attached is a pic showing the gaps in the eaves.  Re ventilation, I suspect that these will be too much overall.  Shall I block some of them in?  The pic shows 1 side, and the opposite is the same.

Cheers for your helpful replies thus far,
im

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:43 am »
No such thing as too much ventilation. It won't be drafts coming in from there so keep it as it is  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:48 am »
Great - thanks Clydesdale.
I'm going to fit the mesh today, and may add some closing louvres the the eaves if I can find something that is easy.

Cheers,
Jim

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »
Looks good - realised my duck house (from Jim Vyse) has space under the eaves which is not covered in weld mesh but ducks are probably less under threat from rats because they're still active at night. The rest of the houses all have some sort of heavy mesh over all the openings.

Where are you? I think you're not far from me at all.

H

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:23:23 pm »
Hi Hester.

I am between Tovil and Loose, out in the orchards.  You?
Got the mesh on, but had to take the roofing apart to do it.  Should be finished with this bit by end of play today.
I need to start thinking about getting some chickens I suppose :-)

I'm going to leave the eaves open but meshed and see if there's a draught, but I doubt it.  If there is the I will just close them in,  I also bought some sliding vents for the gable end panels too.

More pictures later I hope.

Jim

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »
They should be fine if all your openings are at eaves level, the draught will be above them and most chickens are pretty well able to cope with cold temps anyway (well as cold as we get here). I'm just off junction 10 of the M20 so a few miles below you!

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:03 pm »
Finished the (hopefully) rodent proof mesh.  Does it look OK?

Can someone look at the pics of my roost poles/trays and comment on their height and head space?
The are 800mm (2'8") from the floor, and the head height is about about 360mm (14").

I am also a little concerned that the open (meshed) eaves are only 10" above the roost poles.

What dya think?  Should I drop the trays a little?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:25 pm »
Most of my chickens wouldn't roost that high but it depends what breed you're getting. If they're a lighter breed, they'll be able to get up there more easily and the lack of head room will be less of a problem. What are your plans?

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:59:05 pm »
My plans are simple: chickens :-)  The breed choice is going to be the subject of much searching and quizzing soon I expect.
Its our first foray into poultry, so really we have NO idea  :excited:

Whats a more normal roost height then?  I want to keep them above the nest boxes, but could easily drop them all down (6 screws).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS