Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you pay for Land rental prices ?  (Read 3346 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
What do you pay for Land rental prices ?
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »
We potentially have the option of a five acre field for a couple of years (at least)for grazing sheep.
The ground is one grass field which is fenced and relatively clean from weeds in countryside in central Scotland and is about 15 - 20 minutes from the house
Was wondering  :thinking: what everyone else was paying per acre for reasonable grazing ground as it looks like it would be a financial rather than our prefered barter deal. Don't want to pay to much but also don't want to seem to cheeky / rude either so really looking to see what the going rate is ( even if you are else where)
thanks in advance
BL

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: What do you pay for Land rental prices ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »
I'm paying £50/acre/year in North Yorkshire and I now it's more than the going ag. rate, but as it is ideal for me, I'm not going to argue!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:01:35 pm »
Yep 50 per acre per year
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »
Ranges from 35-100 across the country, well for sheep grazing. Seen dairy ground etc go for £150 +

But I would say 50-70 is a fair offer.

Small bits are always more costly per acre than larger blocks.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:48:25 am »
Thanks for the answers so far - I guess the other question is what jts worth to ourselves! :0)

shadygrovefarm

• Joined Mar 2014
    • Shadygrove Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:25:09 am »
Last year I paid £80 per acre (seasonal grazing - beginning April - end Sept) BUT it was also written in to the agreement I had to top all the fields, spray then and weeds were my responsibility - which is very costly.

Land owner was an utter pain in the a*se, half way through the year he started telling me I couldn't have livestock in certain fields and then accused me of sub letting fields, it ended up turning in to a bit of a legal battle towards the end which cost me an extra £500 for solicitors fees.
Be very careful who you rent land from - even if you think you have things clear at the start land owners can change their minds and make life difficult.

In my experience taking grass lets through an auction mart is far easier and stress free than dealing with the owner of the land.

Tinleypig

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:27 pm »
We have 7 acres in Kent. We have only been here a year and are a bit green maybe. The farmer grazes his sheep here for free (only seasonal) to keep the grass down. We were expecting a lamb to turn up but it didn't, just a few strawberries. We did feel a bit ripped off but wouldn't know how to find anyone else.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:42:46 am »
I guess advertise, we rent a bit of ground nearby on a seasonal grass let and on  the rental document our rent is 2 butchered lambs. Not sure what your plans are with the land. Sheep will definitely keep it in better condition than horses

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS