Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any tips for helping thin ewe with lambs at foot  (Read 9477 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: any tips for helping thin ewe with lambs at foot
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »
Thanks for the further replies everyone.

To pick up on the points made ...

My ewes are fed well 6 wks prior to lambing and have a Lifeline pre-lambing bucket plus a high energy bucket to choose from.  The ewe was in good condition immediately before lambing.  She's doing a great job of her lambs and is eating fine. 

Think getting creep available to the lambs is the priority then judging by the comments, thanks

I would normally have a creep area set up for them before now but space is limited and because I'm topping up a couple of other ewes triplets it's been easier to keep them in separate pens so I don't get mugged by a wee gang of lambs fighting over bottles ...... so I haven't had enough space to be able to organise creep yet.     

At the weekend I'll be re-organising such that I can set up a creep pen (and tail off the topping up)

Couldn't get readigrass but have bought a bag of Timothy haylage today (with a view to her getting more of it in to her than hay?)

Did wonder about whether Cetophyton would do any harm/some good at this stage.   Have some left over that might be out of date for next year so should I just give her some of that over a few days?

thanks again

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
Winter 'greens' - kale, cabbage, cauli leaves etc.  Some of mine love them once they get the taste.

Glad you said this Bramblecot -mine have just suddenly polished off all the leftover purple sprouting broccoli I had abandoned! I'm hoping it won't do them any harm!  Might make them a bit farty, I suppose...   ;D
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
Neeps.  You can probably buy some from a neighbouring farmer?  around £5/tonne this year but guess you dont need many!

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 07:16:28 pm »
Update .....   :( :'( :( ewe now has mastitis and her three and a half week old lambs not willing to take a bottle .... aargh!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »
Oh dear.  :fc: the lambies come around to the bottle quickly.  And/or that prompt treatment gets their mum back on track quickly.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »
Poor ewe :hugsheep: , and poor you :hug: .  I hope it works out ok.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »
Thanks for the hugs    :)

Have given antibiotic and metacam and managed to feed her some soaked sugar beet at 10pm without the other ewes realising and kicking off -  :relief: Tried her two tup lambs again with the bottle.  They weren't quite as 'OMG who's this trying to kill me' as last time but still didn't 'get' the sucking technique.  Hopefully they will be a bit more relaxed next time. 

Couldn't get any milk out of the dodgy side .... hard-ish warm not hot area at the bottom of the left quarter but soft above that  - would you encourage lambs to suck i.e. by holding the ewe - read this somewhere but not sure if it's beneficial,  'cruel to be kind' or just cruel??

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:06 am »
Certainly in humans they recommend getting the baby to help clear it by feeding lots from the affected side.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 12:02:50 pm »
The goo inside the infected quarter has to come out, one way or another.... if the lambs suckle then yes let them, however you may have to try and strip her out yourself.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:40 pm »
Quick update .... ewe much brighter tonight and she invited both of her lambs in to suck (briefly) a couple of times so hopefully all will be well.  :excited:

Thanks again everyone

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS