Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Misty's Whelping  (Read 2922 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Misty's Whelping
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:22 am »
Whelping pen is up and I have excluded stressy blind Bulgarian rescue from the living room (he barks at her all the time).  She is getting big but still wants to be very Misty..... normally she would be out all day chasing sticks... I have been having her out for a couple of hours and then putting her inside.

Would you recommend a vet check up?

She whelping in 2011 easily but I am conscious she is older now.

I arranged to work from home next week.... but now have to go to leeds on 2nd for a meeting.

Advice would be very welcome.  When she whelped last time I knew nothing (which is how she got knocked up in the first place) and just thought "she'll do it naturally" which she did.  Now I am full of "book of the bitch" and 4 years experience of farm animals etc so worry more....

Misty is a working cocker.

http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/kitchencottage/media/dogshowmisty_zpse00f9c08.jpg.html?o=0#/user/kitchencottage/media/dogshowmisty_zpse00f9c08.jpg.html?o=0&_suid=1424675278749040481065746297073

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Misty's Whelping
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:09 am »
How old is Misty? I wouldn't like to leave her, she may well whelp unaided but again she may not. :-\
 Is there someone who can stay with her for the day you're away, someone with a bit of gumption who will know when all is well and when it's not and will know to call the vet if needs be?
Can't help otherwise, too far away but I hope all goes well for her (and you!)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:03:49 am »
She's six.... the only person I could ask has absolutely NO gumption! :(

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:16:39 am »
What are your options?

Don't go to the meeting

Take her with you (and a lot of blankets!) - sounds daft but I took my whippet to my mother in laws, left her there while OH and I went out for a meal got back and there were pups - MIL assumed they were there all along and had not noticed the birth occurring in her kitchen.... :tired:

Ask someone to house sit (not my MIL)

CCTV remote access and give the Vet a key to the house!  :thinking: Any others?

Aside from confirming pups are alive I don't see a vet check being very valuable 9 times out of 10 at this stage

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:17:43 am »
Vet nurse from local vet may be able to sit with her for you

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:32:32 am »
Or put an ad. out for someone with a bit of sense. You would have to pay them but well worth it. Otherwise 'phone in sick ;)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:06 am »
I'm a solicitor.  The meeting wouldn't take place without me and we need to close the deal.... I shall find a vet nurse! What a good idea!

:)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 11:50:19 am »
You don't think a bitch whelping in the corner of the office would help close the deal then?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »
Hey!  My conference calls from home have to be "mute" monitored for cockerels, sheep and dogs.... I have often had a "working from home today Della?.... I think I can hear the sheep...."

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:47:44 am »
A friend with more gumption than me is going to dog sit Monday until my tenant gets home and then she can pop in until I'm home  :)

Thank you,  I probably would have left her an worried all day.  I am sure she will be fine but she deserves not to be left alone  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS