Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beer waste  (Read 2011 times)

littleoakfarm

• Joined Jul 2014
Beer waste
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:14:54 pm »
Can anybody tell me if you can feed beer waste from a local pub to pigs that are going into the food chain. These are pigs not for personal consumption.  I was led to believe you couldn't do this if you are selling the meat to the public.. Any advice would be most welcome.

Mynnyd_Mawr_Herd

Re: Beer waste
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:46 pm »
If you are talking about out of date beer from the sealed casks it should be okay, check with trading standards or FSA.  If you referring to wasted served beer I think they would have a problem with possible contamination.  I feed spent Brewers grains from a local micro brewery along side their home mixed feeds, very beneficial as a vast amount of nutrients, protein and fibre are left behind in the grains after brewing, though I am not sure how benficial the beer would be.

littleoakfarm

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I think you have answered my question perfectly. Will keep away from the beer out of the pub drip trays. Not sure the beer would have made  the pork taste any better.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:51:23 am »
But cider will!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS