Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snowdrops and Daffodils  (Read 5090 times)

threelittlesheep

• Joined Sep 2013
Snowdrops and Daffodils
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:12:21 pm »
Can anyone advise if snowdrops in bloom and emerging daffodils are harmful to sheep? 

Was planning to move last year's lambs back onto winter pasture that has been rested for four weeks. Plenty of space but not much grass in there. First winter in this paddock and didn't know about the spring bulbs until I looked today!

Thanks

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Re: Snowdrops and Daffodils
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »
Sorry, nothing helpful to add but I'd like to know if anyone has any answers!  I've just moved mine to the top of my garden for lambing.  If I let them have access to the main part they will have access to lots of daffs come springtime...
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 06:40:01 am »
as far as I'm aware unless grazing is very poor they just eat round them
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:11:50 am »
Both are poisonous to humans, I believe. 

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:13:54 am »
We used to have some on the garden as lawnmowers every now and then. They always grazed around the daffodils. The odd one got nibbled down but never seemed to do the sheep any harm. I know there has been something in the news about having to move them away from the food in supermarkets in case dozy idiots think they are food. Don't believe they do people much good.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:35:41 am »
As said before they just graze round the bulbs, thing to watch out for is the white mold that can be found in haylage sometimes this can be fatal.
Pigs are human tooo

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 02:47:34 pm »
All my rescued lambs lived in my house at first, and spent fine days in the garden - they sniffed the daffodils but never attempted to nibble them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS