Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick cow, I need some advice  (Read 3363 times)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
sick cow, I need some advice
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »
Ok here's the situation; I have two cows that I've had now for a year, they've been perfectly healthy until a few days ago when one of them stopped eating much hay, now she won't eat at all and mostly lays around. She has a snotty nose (greenish yellow discharge). It's only about 60 degrees here and the sun is out, she has a shelter. I have an appointment to have them both butchered in two days. So what should I do? I can't give her an antibiotic, but will the meat be compromised by her illness? 
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

HappyHippy

Re: sick cow, I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:37 am »
I don't know how things stand now I'm afraid. But I remember as a child my dad having to take a bullock to the abbetior on xmas eve. It had come down suddenly with something and the vet had said it could either be treated or slaughtered. This is only my personal memory, and I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it - might have been breathing related, but I'll have to double check with my dad. As soon as I've got more info I'll let you know.
It may be worth speaking to the abbetior or your vet just to see what they think.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
And, of course, regulations and general thoughts may be different in USA then UK.  Best ask vet I think, as Karen says.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:35 pm »
Well the cow died the same day as we were supposed to take her to slaughter. We took the other cow on in.
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »
oh dear.  do you know what it was?
Little Blue

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »
My best guess is pneumonia.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:20 am »
not far off from what I've read ...............after shrinkage, eviserating,deboning  and such yield should be 50% (or less) of live weight

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS