Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best non-love, murder, dungeons/dragons story book.. is there such a thing?  (Read 7809 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Can people reply with suggestions of their favourite/best reads please? Fed up with books I could write before my tea went cold about love, murder and dungeons and dragons (which appears to be the only three themes of every book ever written). So, avoiding these topics any suggestions? TIA  :dunce:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
I love to find books that are a bit different, I enjoyed "The 100 year old man who climbed out the window"

Anne

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Ok it does have love and murder in it . . . . .

But the book Shantaram is pretty damn good!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
how about science fiction? those i can list plenty of good reads

if you like amusing factual books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Country-Penniless-Adventure-Britain/dp/1471721159

was agift for christmas that i laughed all the way through...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Can people reply with suggestions of their favourite/best reads please? Fed up with books I could write before my tea went cold about love, murder and dungeons and dragons (which appears to be the only three themes of every book ever written). So, avoiding these topics any suggestions? TIA  :dunce:

Plenty of other books out there... ask in your local library!

I'd recommend Ken Follet's  'The Pillars of the Earth'.... yes a little bit of love and murder  but amazing historical facts and fabulously written. .... and unless you are an architect you couldn't have written it before breakfast!

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
If you have a kindle, the Queen's Blade was a cracking series imo .. he is her assassin so there is a bit of murdering but its not done for blood's sake.. recommended this to several people who have all loved it.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Thanks for your replies, I will look a few of them up! The love ones are typically written from the perspective of an American female in her late twenties - (ironically usually a writer) I feel I know the innermost thoughts of the average 20 something American female better than I know myself. The murder ones are usually Scottish for some reason and I get to the point where I don't care who dunnit, diet would have done the job within a few years without bothering the cutlery. 

Thanks again!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Clare Balding's autobiography is a really good read, very funny to the point I kept giggling out loud.

Think it's called, My animals and other family.

Would highly recommend it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
I have just finished "The Mystery of Mercy Close" by Marian Keyes. Didn't think it was my sort of book but couldn't put it down.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
ooh books.  some favourites:

The King Must Die, Mary Renault
A Fine and Private Place, Peter S. Beagle
Count Zero, William Gibson
Black Rubber Dress, Lauren Henderson
Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman
Cyteen, CJ Cherryh
White Noise, Don DeLillo
The Bone People, Keri Hulme
Reservation Blues, Sherman Alexie
Smilla's Sense of Snow, Peter Hoeg
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Narrow Dog to Carcassonne was great fun - not the least bit of sex or murder in it  ;D

Also anything by Terry Pratchett - his books can be read on a superficial level but he's clearly got a head full of the most esoteric facts, and a wonderful sense of humour, so there's a second much deeper layer to all his books.  I want to cry that he now has a degree of dementia.

modified to get the title right - it's Narrow  DOG not boat, although it is about a narrow boat trip
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:55:09 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Some of my favourites with no dungeons and dragons or murder-based plots:

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd
11/22/63 by Stephen King
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Stiff by Mary Roach
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Stand by Stephen King
Contact by Carl Sagan

I like Goodreads for finding books I might like based on what I've read previously.

nonnatus

• Joined Dec 2013
Some great suggestions there, but if you want to get really gripped and like the idea of a series, try the Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" series.  Each book is HUGE in itself but they are soooo easy to read, not to mention fascinating that it's no effort.

It's the story of a woman called Claire, who we follow through her whole life.  She's a modern day doctor but accidentally time travels back to 1800's Highland Scotland. (That's the ONLY bit of weird fantasy, I promise).
We follow how she copes with building a life, knowing how things will happen (because she's aware of the history) and how she forages, builds homes / Smallholdings out of nothing and deals with medicine from 200 years ago.

I've read thousands of books and none really compare with this series  :thumbsup:

Gosh!  I sound a bit Bonkers, don't I???  :roflanim:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Have just finished Lavinia Derwent's " A Breath of Border Air" an account of her childhood in the Scottish Borders. Just about to start "Isolation Shepherd"

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Its all such a personal taste thing.
For the record Witch light by Susan fletcher is a stunningly beautiful book and of course Birdsong by Sebastian faulks, anything by Bernard maclaverty and if not now, when by primo Levi. Can't guarantee no love but def no dungeons or dragons

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS