Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coop dimensions  (Read 2223 times)

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
Coop dimensions
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:55 am »
Morning all.
After previous help on coops I decided to build my own and am well underway.

Can someone help me with some dimensions of the following please:

Pop Hole size.
Ramp to pop hole width and maximum slope.
Nest Box size (per compartment)
Roost pole size
Roost pole height from floor
Relationship between roost and nest boxes.  I am lead to believe that the roosts should be higher?

The coop I am building is pretty large, approximately 2m x 1m x 1m plus a 45' pitched roof from corrugated tin on top.  It also sits on 500m legs.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Coop dimensions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:21:11 am »
On ours, the pop holes are about 12"x12'. Our popholes are at ground level but we have internal ladders that go up to the perches - these are about 6" wide and at quite a steep angle and the hens manage fine.

The nest boxes are about 12" x 12" as well;the roost poles are 2" x 2" square with the corners shaved off for comfort. The roost poles should be higher than the nest boxes but not that high that they bump their heads - ours are probably too high at 2 1/2 feet, hence the ladder for getting up and down.

Others will have other information but that's what ours are like and they seem to work pretty well.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:01 pm »
It also depends on the breed of chicken you're keeping. I got some coops from Wells (before he took everybody's money and ran off) and they're a lovely size but the perches are about 18in up with only about 12in clearance under the roof and my Orps don't touch them. They'd rather huddle in a corner that leap that high only to bump their heads!

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 05:40:24 pm »
Thanks both for the reply.
I have cut the pop hole at 14" x 12" which seems a good compromise.
I have this afternoon made the roosting trays, with 2" square roost bars as suggested by Rosemary.
Attached picture shows them in-situ - perhaps they are too high then?  What do you think?

I want to just have non-fussy layers, not bantams.  I was thinking Ambers, Rhodes, maybe Legbars.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
about a foot and half openings nest boxes 6 in a row 12 hens in this pen and have 4 pens in  total .
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:23:57 pm by Victorian Farmer »

congo181

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Near Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:28:42 pm »
Thanks again everyone.
I'll go with somewhere between 12x12 and 12x18 then.
Got the roof on today - suddenly starting to look like a coop!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS