Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: winter skin care...what do you do?  (Read 2993 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
winter skin care...what do you do?
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
My face is suffering with the winter weather. It seems to be dry and flakey, oily and red and blotchy all at once. What do other people do to cope? Any hints and tips welcome.
It also goes a most attractive shade of red when I am in warm places (but I don't suppose theres much I can do about that!)
At the moment I mosturise whenever I remember to with a good quality moisturiser. I use a cleansing wipe one end of the day and 'simple' facial wash in the shower at the other end of the day.
What do other people do to cope? Any hints and tips welcome

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: winter skin care...what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:09:27 pm »
I can't be much help except sympathise with the redness at the end of the day!  Glowing right now!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
I've got very sensitive skin and allergies so the products for me are limited. After my son was prescribed Aveeno for eczema on his head and face as a baby I've used this for my face through winter. It is greasy compared to other products but the weather doesn't seem able to  get through. Young son gets it on when he starts getting dry patches on his face especially around his mouth and chin( usually caused by chewing on his shirt collars or zips  ::) ) I think it acts as a barrier against the saliva.
Lips get a dose of Carmex morning and evening.

Just noticed had forgot the 'M' in Carmex. So edited  :innocent:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:48:46 pm by Mammyshaz »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:34 pm »
Same problem with red, hot face here after being outside for a good part of the day.... Aveeno used in winter mainly, and although my skin is not dry or flakey, it doesn't help with the hot/redness at all  :-\... oh well...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:09:49 pm »
Another thing to think about is if your diet is different as that can have a big impact on your skin. If you are eating lots of carbs and not so many greens that will have a big impact.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
I rarely use anything but water on my face, with the exception of my eyelids and they get treated several times a day with Dermol cream because I am very prone to eczema there. When I have a flare up I use tacrilimus ointment which is prescribed for me.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:01:53 am »
I'm pretty lucky as I hardly use anything, mind you I have pretty good skin. In the job I do it involves a lot of hand washing so I try to use hand cream quite often, that & face wipes & face masks every now & again, apart from daily waning & I rarely wear make up x 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:46 am »
I use moisturiser with sun screen summer and winter.. And only use soap on my face if I have been doing something very dirty. I am lucky I don't have dry skin to start with .... Not so good when I was a spotty teen but great now in my 50's!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:10:38 am »
Beeprotex
Husband brought me some home from lama show the other week and it's great! Waxy kind of barrier cream. I don't have the paper work for it, nor the exact spelling as I lent my pot to a friend for a few days to try but I'm sure you could find it on google.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:17 am »
I use baby lotion, have done for years. Simple soap. I am lucky my skin is good but then I never did wear lots of make up even when young.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:00:12 pm »
A couple of years ago I did some research for OH to help with his rosacea and stumbled on seabuckthorn oil.
There is a small company called Summerbee that makes a moisturiser with it, and this has completely turned around his skin, quite dramatically, no more blotchy patches at all!
They also sell the oil itself, either blended with almond oil for skin (I now use this myself for my dry skin as a kind of 'beauty fluid' under moisturiser) and also pure (recommended for mouth ulcers, have not tried that).
Maybe worth trying for winter skin problems too.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS