Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat ratting technique  (Read 3787 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Cat ratting technique
« on: February 07, 2015, 12:21:42 am »
We have five cats four of which have lived most of their lives in suburbia with the odd foray into the field and occasionally brought home the odd vole and small bird. We moved to a disused farm with lots of out building and of course lots of rats so I got two kittens to live out side, unfortunately one got run over, I think they go hunting across the road.
 Any way the old moggies have adapted well to rural life, they know where its warm but wander round the building but its hard to imagine these softies are killing the rats I find in the yard. The technique seems to be either to take their head off or bite out the throat, then leave the rest on the drive. I know someone is also killing small stuff as they have the run of the old house and the bodies are left, but they seem to eat mice apart from the liver.
  The rats are fully grown and I just wondered if anyone had ever seen a cat attack a rat and how they do it, taking off the head seems a bit risky as its the sharp end.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Cat ratting technique
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:08:14 am »
Cats often take the head off their prey once dead. Our cat had a rabbit a few months back, it was squealing so I ran out to finish the deed as the cat was messing around with it. By the time I ran out of the kitchen the rabbit was dead and its head gone  :tired: the cat was smiling  :cat:
He has also brought us a weasel this year which was alive when I saw him with it, by the time I called OH to identify what it was, Frodo had killed it. He just seems to bit tighter into the soft neck area until they are dead, the prey are helpless. Lining up the dead prey is also a cat trait.

Sounds like your suburban cats are enjoying a little bit of natural instinct. Good on them  :thumbsup:  :cat:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:10:12 am »
We also moved our 4 city garden cats out to the smallholding with us, and 3 of the 4 have turned into vicious hunters. One in particular seems to like a challenge and regularly brings home squirrels, and he always eats the head first too. Same thing with the occasional rabbit, the head goes first, while some mice get eaten whole and other mice are not considered tasty enough for eating at all, they just get left.
Sounds like your cats are making the most of the opportunity too  :thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:50:05 am »
  <<<taking off the head seems a bit risky as its the sharp end.>>>

That's the point - deal with the most dangerous bit first.  It's like picking up a snake - if you pick it up by its tail then the head will swing round and get you, but if you have hold of its head it can't strike.   Unless it's a boa constrictor in which case stay away  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:21:15 pm »
I have been interested in this quetion before and I remember seeing a youtube video with a cat and a very live rat. The cat had the rat by the side/back of its neck while the rat was kicking and squealing. The cat just tightened its grip firmly and it looked like the rat was suffocated after about a minute.
No chance of the rat biting.  Although the video didnt show the catch it looked like it had caught it from the side rather than head on.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »
domestic cats kill in much the same way as big cats on the telly :) i.e. a crushing bite to the neck. Then  my cat eats the head, followed by the rest of it. He sometimes leaves one organ-generally the spleens of voles and mice but have also found caecums. He's a delight, should have called him Joffrey.  I've seen him catch and eat three mice after his dinner, he takes his work very seriously.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:55:39 pm »
I'd understood it was the gall bladder they left.  If they eat it, it can make them vomit - and they usually learn! ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:47:15 pm »
I'd understood it was the gall bladder they left.  If they eat it, it can make them vomit - and they usually learn! ::)

yes, I heard that too but they're definitely caecums and spleens. I was also told they won't eat voles because they taste bad but I don't think he got the memo :D he does sometimes vomit them up though, charming creature.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS