Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fox attack  (Read 7006 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: fox attack
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:49 am »
thats why why need the 3 +trip wires so it cant get near enough to dig or jump, a fence with no trip wires is not secure enough..... the mains quote was a joke 250000 volts, jarasic park ;)for bears and cougers, theres no difference on output between battery or mains, they both hurt when you walk into them. I DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL SEEM AS FUNNY WRITTEN DOWN BUT the funniest thing i watched was, i had some plastic poles about 6 feet tall with some solar lights in the top next to my trip wires, a friend came round one day and asked if he could have the solar lights, i said yes so he went to reach for it out of the top of the pole and as he grabbed it his leg touched the trip wire, he starting shaking and shouting as he thought the light was giving him the shock so he let go but didnt move his leg standing there still getting electric belts to his leg, i  was falling about laughing it was so funny.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:42:16 am by harry »

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:47 am »
Between the 11th and 14th January (see my post responses to carol - Fox problem - other) I took three foxes in my trap.  Since then I have established an electric fence all round my livestock area.  I live in suburbia and my animals are enclosed in a fenced area 6ft larch lap and I have a double wire on top.  this would be improved by a wire or two at ground level as a stand off before foxy reaches the fence but thats not possible.

They are still visiting, wandering round the garden and the area where my hawks sit out during the day.  It is not ideal but as my saluki is intent on putting foxes on the endangered list she will keep them out in daylight hours should they try there luck.  Foxes here are about at every hour and unafraid of people.  Having lost two falcons and a tawny owl to foxes, plus several chickens, I am paranoid about them.  My fox trap has been a very worthwhile expenditure Having caught three as earlier stated, I have had two more this week and the just keep coming

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
Touch wood our 2 dogs (an Old English Sheepdog weighing a staggering 16 stone and a Collie X Lab) keep the foxes away. All my birds are locked up at night and their runs are surrounded by fences (although on a morning I open their sheds and gates so they can free range).
My dogs are let out selectively during the day (when we're around so as to avoid any chicken based antics) and have the place to themselves at night so any fox wandering onto our land at night is guaranteed a nasty suprise.
I live in a rural area and I have noticed that since the ban fox numbers have steadily increased. I have also noticed several "tame" foxes who have *probably* been relocated from the larger towns nearby. A couple of my neighbours also leave scraps and chicken carcasses out for whoever wants to take them so my local foxes have already got a taste for chicken.
The farm next door has lost in excess of 20 birds last year to foxes and yet I've never actually seen one on my land. I've seen Deer, Badgers, Weasels, the odd polecat but absolutely no foxes and so far, touch wood, I've not lost any livestock to predators.
I must admit I often hear the dogs at night chasing something or maybe just making their presence known. They have a distinctive "get off my territory" growl and bark and to be honest, if I heard it I wouldn't hang around to find out if they mean it.

My advice is to let your dogs have a little freedom at night and take them with you on your chicken duties during the day to get them used to the chickens as part of the family unit, that way they'll be more protective of them should they come across any unwanted visitors.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:03 am »
 pee in  drink bottles and stand them around your patch.... foxes avoid them. or just go out and pee on the ground, blokes do that anyway.  build up your teritory

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »
REDTAIL.... ive sent you a PM... harry

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 08:51:28 pm »
Yes I received your pm  - did you get my rely?

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »
yes thanks more food for thought thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS