Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised bed too rich?  (Read 2337 times)

polaris

• Joined Mar 2014
Raised bed too rich?
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:27:37 am »
For the last six months one of our raise beds has become the compost overflow, it's now a good eight inches of fresh/old chicken poop, rabbit poop, food scraps, straw, sawdust, plant matter etc, everything you'd expect... As it is, is it too fish to plant on?mir what would be suitable to plant on it in the coming season,mew don't want to waste it if something would love it, but don't want to put plants in just to burn.

Any ideas welcome!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Raised bed too rich?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:45 pm »
I would put some black plastic over it and leave it 'til May, then put french beans, lettuce and tomatoes in there, followed by leeks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:22 pm »
Squashes will love it especially the giant kind for the local veg show, potatoes, winter brassicas.  It will burn some veg if it's not very well rotted, and roots such as carrots will go berserk with endless forked, unusable roots.
If I have freshly manured ground I usually grow potatoes the first summer, then winter brassicas, followed by things needing a little less feed such as rootcrops, salads, peas and beans.  I can't grow tomatoes outdoors, but they would suit the second year, with some chopped comfrey added to freshen the mix.  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:19:53 pm »
Be careful with lettuce in manure that isn't thoroughly rotted, there's a danger of contamination from pathogens via rain water splashing and watering, and since it's usually eaten raw it's a higher risk to you than other crops.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:18 pm »
As well as squashes I would add pumpkins would love this manure rich bed.
Cover with black plastic and plant straight into the bed.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »
When I had my 2 ft 6 ins deep beds constructed, I also had them filled with part rotted goat manure. The first summer I grew dwarf French beans which were ok. Last summer I grew squashes which loved it and grew like triffids. I'll be eating the results for ever.

I scooped out a dip in the compost and put some potting compost in to actually plant the squashes in so the baby roots weren't burnt. I have also grown pumpkins (the biggest was 40 lbs) in compost bins filled with manure as I cleaned out the goat shed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:06 am »
As well as squashes I would add pumpkins would love this manure rich bed.
Cover with black plastic and plant straight into the bed.

Yes, I was being economical with my words - squashes, pumpkins, courgettes and anything else in that family thrive on masses of manure.  :squash: :squash: :squash:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS