Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ordering seeds from a catalogue  (Read 8721 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Ordering seeds from a catalogue
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:26 pm »
I like plants of distinction, they are more expensive than most but have a very high germination rate, one of the broadsheets did a test a couple of years ago and they were one of the best companies. they have a fabulous selection of tomatoes, in fact i find it a good read even if you don't buy anything!
Happy growing, Helen

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:41 pm »
DT Brown here.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 06:48:52 am »
If you have too many seeds in 1 packet then save them for next year as long as they are stored in the dry and dark they are usually ok to use.

Try buying spuds from a supermarket and growing those. I know some varieties have been sprayed with a chitting retardant but not all have. Yes I know there are virus implications from doing this but if the spud looks healthy, no skin marks, then it probably comes from healthy stock, plus you can get some really nice varieties this way.
I do reccomend Charlotte salad spuds.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »
My mother seems to like Thompson & Morgan and Baker Holland for seeds/young plants. My own preference so far is Unwins, but that's mostly because I absolutely detest the way T&M mix up the order of things in their catalogue, making quick searching very slow whereas Unwins have a nice logical catalogue. That's more important than the actual seeds... right?  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS