Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: not another one!!!!  (Read 1813 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
not another one!!!!
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:46 pm »
we noticed today that molly's other scur is now growing, but this one seem's to be curling back around to her skull,
we hope this one will get loose like the other one, is this something to be concerned about?
and is this due to incorrect disbudding when they were small
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: not another one!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:23 pm »
Yes, it is due to incorrect disbudding when they were smaller. However, some goats do just have stronger horn growth than others, and even if disbudded correctly can have a bit of regrowth. You often find that males have a lot worse scurs, as they have a much stronger horn growth.

It depends on how much her horn grows. You do need to keep an eye on it, because it can grow right back to her head and dig in. You can trim it down, the vet will do it for you if it grows too back into her head. One of the easiest ways to do it is by using cheese wire, and cutting through it.
I'd advise getting someone else to do it for you if you've never done it before. If its just a wee growth and feels quite wobbly to you when you wiggle it, then it will probably come off by itself. 

I can't find any pictures that show my billy's scurl, otherwise I would post a picture.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS