Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeds and trees  (Read 4193 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
feeds and trees
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:08:07 pm »
is it good to change the feed every now and again with  :goat: as they like abit of variety
and also is the bark of an oak tree poisonous to  :goat:.
still cant get those pic of milly and molly up comp. is saying they are to big or something.
we put a small one of milly (right name!) on as our new profile pic will have to do till we get it right!!!!
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: feeds and trees
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »
Use your graphics programme to reduce the size and save it with a different name so you don't lose the original.  I use MS Office Picture Manager - edit pictures and resize or crop to size.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »
that's great thank's but do you have any suggestion's about changing feed's or about oak tree's
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
milly and molly
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:44:14 pm »
hope this works
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
Did you say Milly is a Toggenburg? Are her ears kind of floppy?

Re Oak bark- I wouln't have thought it was poisonous as such, although oak leaves are supposed to make them constipated, so too much bark might do the same thing. I've never really fed oak as we just don't live in an area with Oak in.

Changing feeds- it isn't a bad idea. We always use the same basic sheep mix, but we usually give the milkers a different mix as well, and that varies according to what each one likes, or what we happen to have bought. Remember you can feed other things to them as well as just mix- soaked beetpulp, alfafa, chopped up vegetables. Which helps to vary their diet as well.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:35:14 pm »
thank's beth for your quick reply,we mixed names up again!!!!!!
we will get this right!
molly is our saanen milly is our toggie
we love her floppy ears
is this a prob pls say no!
have you read our latest post- billy or no billy, would love to know your thought's
again pls say there is no prob with milly ;D :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
Has Milly got Anglo Nubian in her - just those ears look like one.

My present goats are not keen on bark of any kind, although they eat the leaves of all sorts of trees.  Just make sure they do not eat acorns off the oak trees, and any evergreen or privet hedge.

I feed my goats either goat mix, or sheep mix.  In winter they have soaked sugar beet added, plus some of the ponies alfa a or chaff.  They like most veg including peelings, bread, etc.  Some of them like polo mints as a treat.  I have to watch them with the hens feed, as mixed corn is one of their favourites to steal.

Hay is very important, and they do tend to eat a lot, especially in winter.  I find they browse in the field, prefer trees and bushes to grass if they can get it.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:48:55 pm »
I think the same as Roxy- Milly looks like she has a bit of Anglo-Nubian in her! Toggenburg's have ears more upright like Molly's.

It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with her though- just that she's not 100% a pure breed.

Will go reply to billy or no billy!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:24 pm »
There is certainly nothing wrong with her, just a mixture of breeds.  I have two registered Anglo nubian boys, and they are lovely, but exceptionally tall!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:56 pm »
thank's beth for putting our mind's at peace!!!!!
it's quite fasanating to now know that milly is not the pure toggie that we thought(u guy's know your stuff)
but we love her still.
we actually choose her because of her floppy ear's, the kid's loved them, the place we got them from she was
the only one who had floppy ear's, we could'nt resist.
by the way we love molly as much!!!!!
thanks again beth
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS