Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and a question  (Read 5164 times)

libbil

• Joined Jan 2010
Hello and a question
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »
Hi.  We are Libby and Neil, and we are looking into the possibility of having a smallholding at the moment (has been our dream for a while and we are pretty much ready now to take the plunge).  We are hoping to gain a bit of knowledge from those of you with lots of experience.

We have a couple of plots in mind just now, and we wondered if anyone has experience of a smallholding with a majority of the land being forest?  I can imagine forest would be great for pigs, hens and turkeys, but we want to have fruit and veg as well, and preferably a house if we can persuade the planners, so we just wondered how others have dealt with this?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Hello and a question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »
hello and welcome.
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:28 am »
Hi and welcome.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:11:00 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:12:05 am »
Hi Libby and Neil....welcome and you've got to take the plunge. We're just setting ours up at the moment and have an area of young woodland which we are also planning to use as foraging for pigs and chickens. We've also got a fair bit of pasture so will be looking at getting the veg growing there but depending on the density and maturity of the woodland, I don't see why you couldn't create some glade areas for growing. Just need to be carefull of how much you fell as you may need a felling licence from the Forestry Commission or if the wood has any protection orders on it from the local council.

We're also looking at the possibility of building our own house on the land and I'd definitely recommed the book Field to Farm as a canny way of applying the planning system to suit your needs. We're about to go down this route so will keep you posted.

Cheers and let us know how you get on - Micko and Dee Dee

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »
Hello and welcome from me too  ;D
Our farm is 130 acres and about 115 is planted with woodland, it's not long enough established yet for pigs (10 years they reckon before the trees are safe from the piggies) but very soon I'm going to have tamworths roaming - I'd love some wild bore or iron age pigs too - but we'll see how it goes  ;)
As for the possibility of building - you don't say where you are, but up here in Lanarkshire it's almost a no-go (unless you happen to have influencial friends in the planning department) we tried for 6 years to get pp, spent thousands of pounds and jumped through every imaginable hoop they wanted us to - but still got a NO !
I'd try to speak to someone in the planning department in the area BEFORE buying anything. Again, with the felling to create open areas for growing - check before you commit to anything.
Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 02:58:39 pm »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums.

libbil

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
Hi.  Thanks for the welcomes. 

We'll watch your progress with interest Micko and Dee Dee.  All sounds exciting.

Happyhippy - wow sounds like you have a lot of land on your hands.  We are currently in North Lanarkshire but looking at plots all over the place, within an hour of Glasgow really.  The one we are interested in is in South Ayrshire, and going purely by their website, they seem less automatically negative towards countryside living than most other Councils we have looked at so far.  There are a couple of houses that have been built on the road in question in the last few years, and they dont appear to have that much going on in land attached (but then you may be right about who they know).

We've emailed the Council with an outline of what we intend to do, and the location of the plot, and it's been assigned a planning officer, so even if we dont get this particular plot, it'll be useful to know what the Council is likely to say, and the process to go through.

Were you trying to build a house for yourselves or to sell?  It does seem that some Councils are just complete no-go areas - I've heard Stirling can be the same.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about everyone's ventures on the other boards.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:45:42 am »
Hello and welcome from Clackmannan, great to have some forestry , I love trees and wouldn't mind some myself but much more other "wants" and how nice if you could get it safe enough for pigs and chickens etc, always makes me think of that man from Grand Designs who built a stunning house in the woods as he was a Charcoal burner!!!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:14 am »
Hello and welcome, we planted trees around our ground but to give shelter to the animals more than anything. Does bring in a lot of wild life but I have never thought of giving the pigs free access as the ground can be water logged in the winter. I live near Banff and planning  is who you know without a doubt.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »
Hi,
We were trying to build for ourselves. :(
A few farms have turned into 'Courtyard developments' and planners are happy with that ! For some bizzarre reason 6 or 7 houses are seen as a better idea than 1 ???

Sabrina, as long as your trees are well established and there are dry areas in the summer/autumn i see no reason not to let them into the woods and just bring them back in in the winter. I believe most breeds would thrive in that environment, especially Tamworths from what I've read (and if you're really lucky and fast ! they might even root up a truffle or 2 !) But I haven't actually tried it yet as my trees aren't quite old enough to withstand the rooting - but soon !

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:22 pm »
hello and welcome

I have mainly woodland and the pigs love it, take the plunge its worth it and as for pigs they are the best medication for stress the only problem is you could loose hours watchin them!!!!!

Gary

libbil

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:38 am »
Thanks for all the advice. 

One other question we had, was whether any of you live in houses that have an agricultural tie to the land.  Ideally we would prefer not to, as we want to start off without the pressure of having to make it a viable business, but hopefully over time, it would become one.  Just wondered how other people find having that tie, and what happens if the business doesnt make a profit to start with.  Can the Council say you cant live there?

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 10:05:30 am »
Hi and welcome from sunny and snowy Perthshire.

I too am considering pigs, and do have access to some woodland.  I am concerend though that the woodland is on a rather hilly site - what would pigs make of this? Do they prefer / require flat land?

Good luck,

RIchard.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 10:47:52 am »
Hello from North Yorkshire, good luck with your venture
Danielle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS