Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cae test  (Read 2754 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
cae test
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »
I have just read an article about this cae test thing in the article it said that if the result's came back neg the girl
would be able to get a fella.
Does this mean that our girls need this test before mating and if so how much does the procedure cost :D
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: cae test
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:37 pm »
Yes, a reputable stud place asks for evidence of a negative CAE test, its the only way to try an eradicate it and keep the girls healthy during pregnancy.
Ours were tested just before Christmas, but we are still waiting for the results (having only 2, they said the lab would wait until theres a few more samples to test!)
We will have to pay for the call-out as well, so when I get the breakdown (we have an account!) I'll let you know.

I'd recommend getting the test done on your your girls sooner rather than later, so that you're not hanging around waiting for the results when you could be getting them mated!

We have reasons for having waited, but its probably better to organise it when its abit quieter..
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »
Usually stud owner will need to see a CAE certificate from the last 12 months, so you will need to re-do it annually, or at least every 2 years if she is only bred from every two years.

It depends on where your vet is, I bring mine in the trailer down to the surgery, and so save a call-out charge (but its only 10 minutes down the road). In Scotland its done through SAC, and mine came back very quickly.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
Like Anke says, you will save a call out fee if you take the goats to the vets. But equally well, you could just get the vet to do the test anytime they were out to you for a visit.

Most of the people who keep males for stud, are people who show, and your goats have to be whole herd CAE tested in order to go to a show. There used to be lots of people who kept an untested male, but not so much anymore. CAE is becoming very rare, but thats only happening because most goats are tested.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS