Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fencing  (Read 2614 times)

billy_wiz

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Anglesey
electric fencing
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »
Hi

I would like some recomendations on electric fencing, firstly for chickens later for sheep and pigs.

Being new to smallholding, is there any sytem product better than others pro's and con's, what should I look for, buying for only a few acres.....mostly as fox deterent.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:20 pm »
For chickens - electric poultry fencing. Either with mains power or a 12V energiser. Sheep and pigs can have two or three stands of wire or poly-wire. If you have to move the fencing every so often it is probably better to use electric sheep netting. However, this can cause problems with horned breeds.

I wouldn't advocate moving pig fencing with any porkers in residence. :innocent:  Give them a big enough enclosure from day one.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:20 pm »
'Rutland electric fencing' have a useful website

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:17:23 am »
Poultry netting for the chickens.
4 strands of wire/poly wire for the sheep (or tape but only if you sheep are well behaved).
2 strands of tape for the pigs.

Moving the poultry netting and the 4-strand wire can be a pain (esp the netting).  But you will get better with practice.  Don't move the pig enclosure if you can help it, like Possum says, get it right first time.
:)

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »
Never got on well with poultry netting, lots of potential for grounding and very long in wire terms so needs a hefty energiser to give a decent shock.

If it going to be (semi)permanent I use 2 methods for poultry with success to date (tempting fate):

1. Wires (polywire) at 15cm, 30cm, 45cm, 60cm and 80cm.
2. 4ft chicken wire (non electric) with a run of electric polywire on the outside at 15 cm and 5cm or so bellow the top (seems to be a popular method with gamekeepers for poult pens).

Proper wooden braced corner posts keep it all taught.
Remember to keep vegitation off the wire, makes a real difference to the jolt delivered.

regards

Moel

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »
Oh, and for lambs netting and a hefty energiser!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS