Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Camera  (Read 3364 times)

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
Camera
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:35 pm »
I am looking into getting a new camera...but I know nothing about them, I'm looking for something quite good that will capture the moment(not too fussed about paying good money for something really good). All tips and advice greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. x

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
Re: Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »
You need to decide what sort of camera you want.

Digital SLR- for the more advanced picture taking, different lenses for different shots, programmable, auto or user defined settings.

Point and shoot digital- Small, easy to use and good results

Bridge digital- Mid way between the two

It's a minefield, I've got one of each and can't decide which is the best, depends on what you are planning on doing with it, if you want it to become a hobby then SLR is the best due to lense choice.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
To expand on what paddy1200 said, you need to decide how you want to carry it.

If it's for opportunist pics at any time (capture the moment as you said) then you need something that fits in your pocket and is ready to shoot quickly, not a DSLR in a dedicated case that hangs around your neck or in a carry bag, which just isn't practical for any length of time for most of us.

On the other hand if you're going to be heading out specifically to take photos, a DSLR with a tripod or monopod will get you better results in time.

I've got a DSLR but I hardly ever use it - out and about on the smallholding I use my phone all the time for pics and video - it's convenient and is there all the time for those opportunistic shots. I did have a Panasonic Lumix for a while but other than providing excellent optical zoom the quality wasn't that much better than my phone for snaps for the website or Facebook.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »
Hubby got me a Nikon digital SLR, I love it - on the farm, holiday, family occasions (I took all the photos for my sister in law's wedding) I'm a bit hit & miss but get some fab shots and I've won some pet photo competitions with it. I love taking photos, it is big, in its own bag and carrying can be a hasstle but I think it's worth it.

I took the attached photo with it last week  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:25:14 pm »
My children bought me a Nikon digital SLR for my birthday and I love it. I agree with Dan that it's easier to use your phone for instant snaps but an SLR does take decent photos.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:10 pm »
We also went for a Nikon, then later splashed out on a zoom lens - brilliant! I can read a car number plate 300yards down the lane.
So great for wildlife pics.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:51 am »
As many have said above, its a mine field
i have a lovely little fuji bridge camera, that takes great pics , i use this one for getting good detail , which i will then use for planning things,

when i take portraits, i use my fuji S3 pro, DSLR….

the great thing about cameras these days are, they are getting so good on the cheaper models,

i would invest in a little point and shoot to see how much you enjoy photography...

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:46:30 am »
When we looked at getting a new camera, we decided on getting two. This then made it easier to cover all options. We chose an olympus mu waterproof, bash proof as a compact. Handy for in the fields or in the pool on holiday. We then also got an olympus mid range dslr for more planed photography.  buying two at the same time gave us a little bargaining tool in the shop.

But like others mention,  you need to plan where and how you intend to use it.

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:09 pm »
Thank you all very much, I need to do a wee bit of research.....I'm thinking towards the dslr though. I'm quite keen to try and better my photography skills.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS